Plywood Bookcase question

Hi all - I'm building some bookcases for a client that will sit directly on the floor without a base.  The bookcases are around 3 feet high so they can put lamps, etc. on top.  I'm going to face frame the front but don't know how I should tackle the top in terms of concealing the plywood edges.  If I butt joint (with dominos) the carcase and face frame the front, what should I do about the top's side edges?  Would you just veneer tape the top's sides? If it were an upper cabinet I would just do a crown moulding around to conceal, but since it will be seen I'm trying to figure out the best way to conceal the edges but also keep the look very minimal.  Any advice appreciated!

I often just use some scrap or 2 pieces of face frame material as the top of the case then attach the finished top with a few screws. You don't need a complete top in the case underneath a separate finished top. If you build a solid wood top elongate the screw holes to allow for wood movement.

If the case is taller than eye level use a strip of face frame material across the front and back as a top so it will finish the same as the rest of the case.