Grizzly G0490X Jointer

KRAM121881

Looking to purchase the above jointer. I have seen several positive reviews both on thus forum and others. I like to cover my bases before a purchase of thus magnitude, anyone have something to add as to why I would want yo look at a different option. Additionally, anyone have one of those elusive 10% discount codes floating around that they could send my way kram121881@gmail.com thanks.

Mark

You might want to check on availability before pulling the trigger.  I plugged in my WI Zip Code and it said that this jointer is not available for immediate shipment to my area.  I really have nothing against Grizzly products but I don't like the fact that they have no Authorized Service Centers setup to service their equipment in case something goes wrong down the road. 

A few people on here have been happy with this jointer. Unfortunately, i got a bad one and sent it back and upgraded to the G0495x. Even with the more expensive model i had to resolve a few issues, all minor but needed fixing. Now i am happy with my purchase. Unless you get a good machine first time around, just be prepared to do your own grunt work to get things resolved. For the money, i cant complain about this aspect.

Hi Mark

I have had the G0490 for about 5 years now and have not had any problems with it yet. I just upgraded my cutter head to the byrd spiral cutter, my first impression of it so far is good. It is really quit compared to my straight knife cutter head. Im looking forward to using it on my next project. Its a good machine you will like it.

I have the G0490 (without the spiral head).  It's okay.  The fit and finish is on the lower end of the "decent" Grizzly machines.  The fence is a nightmare to keep square to the beds, but I pounded the hell out of the handle thingamajigger and now it stays put.  Also know that the "spiral cutterhead" that comes with Grizzly machines is NOT a true Byrd Shelix head.  Yes they are carbide cutters and it will be a huge improvement over straight knives, but they do not cut at a shear angle and there are fewer cutters than the Byrds use.

I'm upgrading my jointer this year, but it's not because the 0490 is so horrible, but because I want a 12" with a Byrd head.  The 0490 makes my stock flat and straight and that's all I expect it to do, but I want more capacity and I'm just done with straight knives.  Forever.  As soon as possible.  I'll be upgrading to another Grizzly, if that tells you anything.  I still think Grizzly usually gives you the best tool:dollar ratio, but don't expect some top-shelf beautiful perfect machine to arrive at your shop.  It'll most likely need a little tweaking, cause a little frustration, and probably drive you nuts with the mediocre machining and paint job.  But again...it makes wood flat.  So big whoop.

One more thing...I'm planning to buy the G0609 with the straight knives, and have them install the Byrd head on it right there at the warehouse.  Turns out it will cost only slightly more than buying the G0609X with "spiral cutterhead"...well worth it, IMO.  You may wanna look into that and see if it's an option.

I too have this machine and like it. However, it's the only one I've ever had and can't compare it to others. I'm going to take advantage of this post and show my ignorance and ask a stupid question. With all of the adjustments on this machine, I set mine and have never used the adjustments on the table or fence since. What is the advantage of being able to move the fence forward and back? The only one I can see is to move the fence occasionally to even out the wear on the blades when edge jointing a board :wacko:

You got it.  Also to rabbet.  And that's about it, 'sfar as I know.

Yep, and if you get a byrd or helical style cutterhead, I believe rabbets are not recommended and carbide wears longer so probably even less necessary to move the fence. 

If youre face jointing a 4" wide piece lets say, if you move your fence forward you wont have to worry about any exposed cutterhead after the work piece pushes the guard out of the way. Its just a safer way to play, but i am guilty of not doing this all the time.