What do you use every day in the shop?

TerryMcK

Lights, bathroom, stereo...

I've been angling for a shop microwave and small fridge for years, but my better half is afraid she'd never see me again --- they are on the 'forbidden list'. But if I had them, they'd get plenty of use... :)

Drumroll please...... my sliding compound miter saw.  It is the only way to get furniture quality cross cuts......

But seriously.... I use pencils every day and I never have enough, or a good sharpener.  My next shop purchase is going to be an old-school wall mounted hand crank pencil sharpener like you had in 3rd grade.  The electric sharpeners all seem to be neutered, maybe some kid got her hair stuck in one or something so for liability reasons they have no power.    And don't get me started on crappy pencils, most of them I buy all have cracked leads... I have to sharpen half the pencil away to get a sharp tip.  Mechanicals don't work for me, I press to hard and always crack those leads.  Yes, I get pretty fired up about pencils.  

Beyond that, I have one of these japense combination squares that I love.  It is well machined and having the ability to check 45 and 90s with more accuracy than an adjustable combination square is nice.  I use it for layout and for squaring fences and blades.  Just using it makes me feel like a better woodworker. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shinwa-Japanese-Combination-Square/dp/B003CMRSRG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y

Dust collection from now on. Ive been complacently working without it, and i cant stand going home all clogged up.

Also, i dont have a proper marking knife, so i have been using a utility knife, which i feel is still better than nothing. Still use it all the time, will get a proper knife one day. :)

But seriously.... I use pencils every day and I never have enough, or a good sharpener.  My next shop purchase is going to be an old-school wall mounted hand crank pencil sharpener like you had in 3rd grade. 

the old shop next door - guy had an obsession with these! I think I counted at least 5 mounted on the walls. I don't think that shop is more than 14' x 14'