Delta Contractor's Saw Snapped Front Trunnion

witnauer

Hi,

I have a Delta 36-451X that has been great. The other day I foolishly cranked the tilting handwheel too far and the cast iron front trunnion bracket snapped and broke in two pieces. I bought the replacement part from Delta and painstakingly took the saw apart and replaced the bracket, but now the blade is too close to one edge of the table insert instead of being centered in the insert opening. I've tried nudging the whole trunnion assembly, but it won't go the full 8th of an inch. This limits the blade height and miter angle. Has anyone had this experience or maybe have a suggestion as to what I should be looking for that could help? FYI-The replacement bracket is the exact same shape and size as the original. Thank you in advance for any help.

Assuming it's like my contractor saw, the only thing controlling the left-right alignment of the blade is the four bolts attaching the trunnions to the table.  You have to loosen these bolts and adjust the trunnion and then tighten again.  It's not just a matter of how close it is to the insert (you can always make your own insert anyway) but more importantly the alignment of the blade parallel to the miter slots.  Getting the trunnions to actually move can require getting a scrap of wood against it and whacking at the wood with a hammer, which you might be reluctant to do considering you just replaced the one you broke.  Once you get it aligned and tightened down then you have to recheck to make sure it didn't move while you were tightening the bolts.  It's not a fun process.

Great info from Krtwood. This should help you with the steps if you like Visual. But like Krtwood said your bolts are "attaching the trunnions to the table", in the video Marc's Table saw in mounted table to the Cabinet.

table saw setup tuneup

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/tablesaw-setup-tuneup-pt-1/ 

• 8 years later...