Domino (dowel) Center

wouldwurker

Ok. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this, and I'm sure the Domino folks have already discussed this 9 ways from Sunday,...

...but a google search retuned nothing, so maybe this will help someone? Helped me anyway.

Last night, I struggled with face to face joinery in the middle of two oddly shaped pieces. After 10 minutes of measuring and drawing pencil lines, I was still off by about an eighth inch. (See photo with sloppy mortise.)

I kept thinking this would be so much easier with a Dowel and Dowel center.

So anyway, why not a 'domino center'. for this purpose?

See attached photo. Just a domino, sawn in half, with three points to gently mark the other board face where you want the opposing mortise. I put a dowel and dowel center next to it for reference.

Again I'm sure this is been done 1000 times... I'm Johnny-come-lately so cut me some slack :). Maybe it will help somebody?

post-15261-0-17551100-1398298177_thumb.j

post-15261-0-56125700-1398298187_thumb.j

You would need a set of them for each bit diameter and either a lip to keep it from going too deep or multiple spacers for each depth setting.

I use the distance from the base of the machine up to the bit for the first mortice in the edge of a part. Then put a piece of wood under the machine to space it up for the next one etc. You clamp a straight edge across the face of the board to be plunge cut and mark the center lines for each mortice. The base of the machine goes against the fence, I turn the machine on then gently line it up and plunge the cut. Put your wood spacer against the fence to line up the next cut in the stack and repeat as needed.

I learned this approach using my biscuit machine. So it works with them just as well.

It helps to clamp the part to a smooth flat surface and if you have a lot of cuts to make a strip of adhesive sandpaper on your wood spacers helps to keep them from sliding around while you cut.

• Like 1