spraying dye or stain

Bob Judah

I'm trying to figure out how to stain an elaborate easel I'm building (ash stock).  Using a wipe off stain would be a problem because of all the nooks and crannies.  The final finish will be solvent-based lacquer sealer and lacquer.  I have a traditional siphon feed spray gun/compressor, and have an Earlex 5500 HVLP rig on order.  What's the best way to get this done?  Could I add powder dye to lacquer thinner?  Could I spray oil base stain without wiping it off?  Do I have to go to water based stain?  Whose on first?

Thanks for any input! 

i use lockwood dye powders, I think they sell 3 kinds: alcohol soluble, water soluble, and oil soluble.  that is not to say you can't mix one into the other (I just follow the manufacturer recommendaiton, so have never tried), and other manufacturers might have different products.   According to transtint their liquid dyes can be dissolved in pretty much anything. 

But for projects like this, especially if it is a one-off, I prefer to dry fit, sand as necessary, disassemble, stain, put a seal coat of shellac or lacquer on, assemble, then top coat.  If you are careful in your assembly you will not mark up the seal coat, and it makes wiping glue off super easy.  It sounds like extra work but it makes the whole thing go a lot easier.