Dust Collection

Hi everyone, I will be purchasing a dust collection system pretty soon.  I was considering the Powermatic PM1300TX-CK Dust Collector or the Oneida Mini Gorilla 1.5hp cyclone.  The PM is more powerful but I like the idea of a cyclone because I think it would do a better job.  The problem is that the Oneida is only 600cfm and the PM is about 1200 (probably less during actual use).  I recently also saw the laguna 1.5hp cyclone and it actually looks pretty good.  Has anyone had any experience with the laguna?  Or can they suggest something else?  I like the layout of the laguna and the bin for the dust and the nice big filter ( http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/dustcollectors/dustcollector-cyclone2_4 ).

My budget is in the $1000 range (could stretch it to $1200).

I have a 1.75hp sawstop a ridgid lunchbox planer and the ridigid 6inch jointer that would be the major dust producers.  I would only run one tool at a time so I basically want something that would do a good job of picking up the chips and dust from any of these machines.  I have a basement shop and I'm worried of all the dust that I typically create and I don't want it getting into the rest of the house.

Thanks,

Sam.

This is one of those topics where you can get TOO much info.  I personally feel that cyclones are sometimes over-rated.  It really boils down to: A) Does it meet the CFM/static pressure requirements for use with your tools, B) How much are you going to use it, and C) what kind of filtering do you need.  Throw in budget as well.

I have a full size cabinet saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw, drum sander, and a few other tools.  The TS, jointer, and planer taxed my previous dust collector (Jet DC650).  It didn't do an adequate job.  Not enough suction, too much dust in the air.  It came with a bag filter that while rated 5 micron, it felt more like 5 inches, etc.  So I decided to upgrade last year

I did my math calculations for suction and figured out what filtering I wanted.  Turns out I was in the same boat as you.  Traditional vs Cyclone.    Since I am not in the shop as much as I would like, I went with the traditional and got a Grizzly G0548ZP.  Plenty of suction and a 1micron canister filter.  Works great and cost around $450 or so.     After having it a bit over a year, I finally went through 1 bag.  That's how little I am in the shop.

Here is a writeup about my decision making process: http://woodintosawdust.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/the-agony-and-ecstasy-of-purchasing-a-new-tool/

Adam

I've typed two responses and then threw them away...the first was a little snarky and I was just gonna ask if you had googled any of this before you posted since it's been asked a hundred times already, many times right here on this forum.  But that would make me a jerk...even though it's true.

Then I typed out the old cliche (and utterly useless) answer about how there are too many variables to give you advice...how it's like asking what kind of underwear you should buy.  But that would be unhelpful...even though it's true.

So I'm just gonna give you an answer:

I think you'll overpay for any of the three units you listed.  Not that they're not good units...I'm sure they are.  But all three of them have inflated prices because of the names they come with.  If you're looking at units in the 1.5-2 HP range, I'd just buy a Grizzly and save some money.  Even the infamous Harbor Freight unit might be worth consideration.

But you're in a basement shop.  I don't know how anal you are, but I can tell you if my shop were in the basement, I'd be sparing no expense on dust collection.

So here it is.  This is what you should get.  Even on sale it's a little beyond your budget.  So what?  It's the best option for you.  You're in a basement.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/63-cv1800-lh-1p-cyclone-bundle-no-filters.html

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/66-cv1800-lh-1p-cyclone-bundle-with-filters.html

cv1800-lh-1p-cyclone-bundle-no-filters.j

cv1800-lh-1p-cyclone-bundle-with-filters

I could find a way.

I've regretted my 2HP Grizzly purchase ever since I bought it.  Turns out "good enough" isn't really good enough.  The 3HP and smaller units work great if you roll them around and attach them to each individual tool.  What a pain in the ass.  No way I could tolerate that.  Once you duct in a permanent system like I did, they become insufficient.  At that point they become pretty decent chip collectors, but they're inadequate to truly suck up the fine dust, especially on the table saw and bandsaw.  If you're working inside your house, that's unacceptable.  At least it would be for me.  So the reality is, it's a choice...do you deal with moving around a portable unit for the rest of your life (or at least years), or do you deal with poor collection?

That Clearvue unit is IMO the best bang for your buck for the higher-end units.  I'll be getting one eventually, even though it's going to require a large amount of annoying custom rigging and organizational changes and duct replacement.  It's worth it.

Thanks for all the info guys.  I'm not doing a duct system so I have to do the one tool at a time.  I did research the hell out of this, scoured the forums both here and the others (sawmill, etc) which of course confuses the heck out of you.  My thinking was that a 1.5hp unit might be OK if I was dragging to one tool at a time which is why I originally asked my question (which I now realized I never mentioned that I'm not ducting).  I'm going to head to Rockler today just to see a few of them in person and to just get a feel for the build quality.  From what I keep reading though I'm guessing I will not be happy with any of the choices I make.  In the end it seems you have to consider 3hp as the bare minimum just to get the result we are looking for.

In the end it seems you have to consider 3hp as the bare minimum just to get the result we are looking for.

Not if you hook up directly to the tool.  When I first got my 2HP I did it like this before I had a chance to duct a system.  It worked well sucking straight out of the tools...except the table saw and bandsaw, which is really the fault of the DC engineering on the tools themselves and not the DC.

I still say you'll overpay for any of the units you mentioned.  If they've gotten poor reviews it's probably because people expected better performance for the amount of money they forked over...when it reality, a large part of the cost of those machines is the little placard that has the name on it, and NOT better engineering resulting in better performance.  I mean really we're just talking about a motor that turns an impeller, a bag and a filter...it's not a machine that really offers bells and whistles or requires precision or any of the other factors that persuade you to buy more expensive models or brands of other tools.  What I'm saying is, unless you get up into the higher-end units, IMO they're all basically the same, aside from the prices and the quality of the filters.

The Grizzly unit I have, albeit underpowered for the system which I expect it to handle, is still a good unit.  It turns on when I press the button and it sucks like a beast.  I'm just asking it to do more than it was designed to do.  Consider the Grizzly units...they will save you some money.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks kiki.  You guys have made me reconsider my choices.  Like I said I just want something that can do a good job one tool at a time.  Sometime in the future when I move to a house that can afford me the luxury of having a ducting system then I will definitely try not to spare any expense there.

I swear my head is spinning with all this info, he he.

All dust collectors will eventually fill the bag up, (meaning they all suck dust up) but not are all created equal in the sense that they will keep your air in the shop clean. I have a grizzly 1hp wall mounted unit, and I use it for one tool at a time, moving the hose to each machine via quick connects. Even at one machine at a time, I only catch about a third of what I would want to see in terms of dc performance. Too much fine dust escapes the table saw, the planer and jointer clog the hose within minutes. For a basement shop, I would also recommend you look into adding an overarm blade guard to help catch the fine dust thrown by the blade. Thats my next step in the war on dust in my shop. Also consider making a small or buying a downdraft table/ ceiling mounted air cleaner for fine dust from hand sanding tasks. I was fine working in my shop yesterday, the I hand sanded a 4x4 sheet of ply for a project and immediately became congested from all the sanding dust in the air. 

I have a Grizzly cyclone and love it. It's a larger unit than what you are wanting, but it's a well made machine that does the job. Grizzly makes a few smaller units that are within your budget. One thing you will love about the cyclone is emptying the wood shavings. It's alot easier than messing with collector bags. Good luck.