Finally Finished

David Turner

I finally had a chance to finish my new assembly table... Any Idea's on things i could have done different...

Its made from 2x4's for the legs a 1/2" piece of plywood for the top and covered with hardboard, that way i can replace the top easier...

The table is 4x4 and pretty sturdy considering i just used 2x4's for the legs...

Let me know what you think...

post-7824-0-40461000-1398638743_thumb.jp

post-7824-0-32275100-1398638749_thumb.jp

As an assembly table, I would be concerned with it being flat and staying that way. 

Other than that, it looks like you did a nice job!  Great size!

Its not dead flat but flat enough for what I am going to do with it... Not making any fine furnature, still a newbie lol

Any cross-bracing supporting the center of the top?

There is 2 supports in the middle and 3 in between those, I guess you could call it a torsion box.. but i wouldnt  :D

==>There is 2 supports in the middle and 3 in between those

Ahhhh, a graduate of the Brick Sh*t House School of construction... :)

==>I guess you could call it a torsion box..

Nah, I'd just go with BSH... or to be slightly more PC, we'll just go with Over-Engineered... :)

• Like 1

==>There is 2 supports in the middle and 3 in between those

Ahhhh, a graduate of the Brick Sh*t House School of construction... :)

==>I guess you could call it a torsion box..

Nah, I'd just go with BSH... or to be slightly more PC, we'll just go with Over-Engineered... :)

Love the comment, got a good laugh out of it... but its sturdy and i am sure i will build a new one and send the old one to the fire pit... Someday...

I stopped worrying about my assembly table being DEAD flat a long time ago.  If your joinery is cut square it's a non issue.  Close to flat is flat enough.

The table should serve you well.  Personally I would have built cabinets below it because it's wasted space otherwise.  You may wanna finish it with something so glue doesn't stick as bad.  Even just a little bit of wax would do the trick.

I built a 4'x4' assembly/workbench and it was my main bench for many years until I built my Roubo. Depending on your construction methods you should enjoy yours. I laminated 3 layers of 3/4" Baltic birch ply, wrapped it in 1x4 maple, and the legs are trestle style. My top isn't perfectly flat but pretty close. It's a great size for assembly but not so great for a workbench:). Enjoy!!

I stopped worrying about my assembly table being DEAD flat a long time ago.  If your joinery is cut square it's a non issue.  Close to flat is flat enough.

The table should serve you well.  Personally I would have built cabinets below it because it's wasted space otherwise.  You may wanna finish it with something so glue doesn't stick as bad.  Even just a little bit of wax would do the trick.

I will wax it and eventually i will put something under the table but im not sure where i want it yet and like i said before I'm sure i will be building a new table in the future... 

I built a 4'x4' assembly/workbench and it was my main bench for many years until I built my Roubo. Depending on your construction methods you should enjoy yours. I laminated 3 layers of 3/4" Baltic birch ply, wrapped it in 1x4 maple, and the legs are trestle style. My top isn't perfectly flat but pretty close. It's a great size for assembly but not so great for a workbench:). Enjoy!!

I would never want my bench to be that heavy.... I see back problems in your future if you move it... . :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...