Now I'm serious

duckkisser

Ok so I'm trying to get serous about selling myself as a wood worker/turner. Finally started making myself a website. I used the pictures I have on hand but I plan on really taking the time to re photo the work I have left and taking more professional pictures.

For art shows and sales I plan on buying a new canopy with walls, shelves, displays, have photos off my better work, blown up copy of the weekend warrior woodworking article ect...... Want to make myself look more professional.

This is the web site I put together this morning and it still need to be played with it but I would appreciate some feed back on the structure of the site. If anyone sees any flaws please let me know

http://featheredwoodworking.wordpress.com

If you put this together in a morning then you did well. It has a nice look and feel to it. Perhaps reduce the size of the graphic at the top - that is all I see on my laptop without scrolling. You also should have a link back to your home page on your top level menu.

Now for the really picky stuff.

• Check your spelling - woodwisperer ?
  • I found the grammar a bit hard to follow in places. That could well be down to my inability to speak American but perhaps not. See if you can get somebody at the school to check it over for you.
  • The tooltips are all lower case. They would look a lot better with some capital letters thrown in so they read like complete sentences.

While they don't have anything to do with your ability as a craftsman (that is obvious from the pictures) they could deter a possible customer from contacting you. I never buy anything from a company whose website is full of spelling mistakes - if they can't be bothered with that then can they be bothered with getting my order right? You are trying to show the world that you are not only a competent craftsman, but a competent businessman as well and little details can make a big difference.

Finally, have a look at getting your own domain. It gives a more polished look and is not expensive (a .com one is less than $13 a year and a hosting account is less than $5 a month).

Like I said at the start, it looks and feels nice. Just needs that little bit more polish that you were already planning.

• Like 1

First, I want to applaud your serious attempt but I have to agree - write down what you'd like to say and then get some help with spelling, punctuation and grammar.  You aren't able to be there personally to present yourself in your best light so your words have to do that for you and you want them to come through with the best presentation possible.

I like where it's headed.  Clean and uncluttered, and the tutorials page is a good idea...I think you should run with that.  You do need to get some studio shots taken of your best work.  I'd rather see one good piece professionally photographed than a dozen mediocre images of different pieces.

I do have to agree with Dave and Byrdie.  Have someone edit your text, fix the grammar and reword a few phrases.  Nothing screams unprofessional like sloppy grammar.  It WILL lose you potential business, no question.

Good luck with your new venture!

Ok so I'm trying to get serous about selling myself as a wood worker/turner. Finally started making myself a website. I used the pictures I have on hand but I plan on really taking the time to re photo the work I have left and taking more professional pictures.

For art shows and sales I plan on buying a new canopy with walls, shelves, displays, have photos off my better work, blown up copy of the weekend warrior woodworking article ect...... Want to make myself look more professional.

This is the web site I put together this morning and it still need to be played with it but I would appreciate some feed back on the structure of the site. If anyone sees any flaws please let me know

http://featheredwoodworking.wordpress.com

I like it. Looking fwd to the final version

Don't forget to set up accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. Youtube, if you do any instructional videos, or maybe a self advertisement. Cross-link all of them and keep some sort of activity going. A web page that never gets updated, or social accounts with little activity are a turn-off to potential customers too. Marc himself has mentioned several times that his "business" is no longer working wood, but maintaining his internet empire. Woodwork itself is more of a side job. Be careful about trying to update anything from a smart phone. The chance of spelling and/or grammer errors will increase dramatically.

Thanks guys yes I know spelling errors are a pain but my goal was to get it structured and in place grammar and writing will end up being a job itself that is for tomorrow. After 4 hours of moving stuff around and figuring out the site I was a little burnt for spelling errors and small changes.

I built a light box this afternoon and as time progresses over several weeks to months I'll replace my pictures or put in new items. Especially since I'm getting set up for summer sales and will have new products.

I'll shrink my header and put in a link back to my main page. Those were the only structural things that anyone noticed.

Duck, I don't know if "mobilization" of the site is something that Wordpress does automagically, but if you have any control over that, consider smaller thumbnail images. The photos you have look great, but don't scale down well on a small device screen, making the site navigation rather confusing.

Agree heartily with what's been said. As a new woodworker who is generally broke, I love talking with craftspeople at shows, and I'll almost always grab a card and check up on their site. Sometimes, if I'm able to buy something, I'd prefer it be from someone who is completely in love with their work (or, preferably, if the work supports something bigger). So try to communicate that as best you can.

Better pics would improve the site greatly. BTW, I'm on my iPhone.

The "about" section could use some more detail. But the biggest thing that would improve that page would be switching the photo to an "action shot" of you at the lathe. Maybe a nice black and white.

Like they said, you're trying to show yourself a competent craftsman AND businessman. You are already incredibly talented and creative, so you're not trying to fool anyone. Think about "perceived value". Your pieces alone already have plenty, but now the whole package needs it.

Duck, I don't know if "mobilization" of the site is something that Wordpress does automagically, but if you have any control over that, consider smaller thumbnail images. The photos you have look great, but don't scale down well on a small device screen, making the site navigation rather confusing.

Not sure what you are using but I'm looking at it on ipad, and iPod I have no control over pictures but on ipad it sets the images 2x2 down the screen. And iPod is one image in a row down the screen. And it automatically sizes it for different devices. It's just a matter of scroll and click to pull up a post.

I'd work on your bio. Noting that you struggled to learn the basics from books and videos does not inspire confidence. Try to convey an image of mastery with dedication to life long learning/teaching.

I'll adjust it a bit but I'm hoping that when I take more gallery quality images people will take my work at face value. After all no matter what I write people will judge my work by what they see. One thing I want to stand by is that I started with no training because many of my classes is about helping my students learn when they have no experience. That's the biggest barrier I have come across. My current students won't attempt to draw......I can't draw......my answer everyone can draw you might suck at it when you start but you can only get better.

Agree heartily with what's been said. As a new woodworker who is generally broke, I love talking with craftspeople at shows, and I'll almost always grab a card and check up on their site. Sometimes, if I'm able to buy something, I'd prefer it be from someone who is completely in love with their work (or, preferably, if the work supports something bigger). So try to communicate that as best you can.

Better pics would improve the site greatly. BTW, I'm on my iPhone.

The "about" section could use some more detail. But the biggest thing that would improve that page would be switching the photo to an "action shot" of you at the lathe. Maybe a nice black and white.

Like they said, you're trying to show yourself a competent craftsman AND businessman. You are already incredibly talented and creative, so you're not trying to fool anyone. Think about "perceived value". Your pieces alone already have plenty, but now the whole package needs it.

Actually I am saving all my wood chips so I can pile them around me for a picture :) this was just picture I had left over from weekend warrior woodworking magazine bio page

Not sure what you are using but I'm looking at it on ipad, and iPod I have no control over pictures but on ipad it sets the images 2x2 down the screen. And iPod is one image in a row down the screen. And it automatically sizes it for different devices. It's just a matter of scroll and click to pull up a post.

I was using an android phone with the chrome mobile browser. Each picture fills most of the screen, requiring a lot more scrolling.

Unfortanity I don't seem to be able to shrink the top graphic been playing with it for 40 min and web design seems to be scaled to that size I'm thinking it sized like that so when you open the site you have a one image of a project or your studio ect.... I can set it so it not a static image so the header would be a continuously changing image of my work every time you open the page. But since my photos aren't that great I just went with a static image of wood shavings. My other option is to not have a header but I don't like how that looks.

One thing I want to stand by is that I started with no training because many of my classes is about helping my students learn when they have no experience.

That's a great message if your website was about education...but if you're trying to make sales and turn a profit...not so much.  Marketing is all about illusion, and that illusion is what gets people to buy your product.  They don't need to know about your "training," unless that includes some kind of accreditation.  When we hear Maloof admit that he was completely self-taught and find that unbelievably cool, it's because we're talking about Sam Maloof...a man who has long been established as a master.  I guarantee he wasn't running around telling every potential customer that he had no formal training in his early days.  To some it wouldn't matter, to others it might tarnish the illusion of the man and his work.  It's generally accepted in marketing 101 that customers should be on a "need to know" basis when it comes to anything that might turn them off.  Just google "monsanto and genetically modified organisms."  You might find that ethically dubious, but the bottom line is you're trying to sell stuff...all they need to know is that what they're buying was made with your hands.  Ramble over.

• Like 1

I was using an android phone with the chrome mobile browser. Each picture fills most of the screen, requiring a lot more scrolling.

I don't know what to say my iPod, and ipad I have no problems with the images. I changed some images highlander if you look under carvings in portfolio and click on the mahogany turtle let me know if which is better.

One of the problems is that the theme you are using is not responsive - it can't offer up different things depending on the capabilities of the client device. Here is a quick demo of a similar site using a responsive theme and some of your photos. Try viewing it on a variety of devices.