Now I'm serious

duckkisser

I like it Duck. I don't bother reading much, I like to look a the finished article. The thing that stands out for me is that your work could be made to look much nicer with some better product shots. In ended up noticing the thermostat in the background :-).

More broadly it's really neat and my first impression when I clicked was "nice this looks sweet", like I said only the photos let it down for me.

Looking better from my phone now Duck. Images don't overhang the screen, although the text labels are so large they obscure about 40% of the image. Like DaveT said, some more research into responsive templates will help improve tbe site for more users. But it is functional as it is. Great job, and good luck going forward!

Finally a web site where the 'About' page actually says who you are! I'm always amazed by about pages that begin with 'I', then continue for ten paragraphs without mentioning 'who'.

As for the other comments, I have to agree. Spelling and grammar do count, and the message must be about what you're doing with the site, and not about what your previous experiences are.

Good for you reaching out like this, and good luck

John

• Like 1

Ok... couple of cents' worth of feedback:

As mentioned earlier: the wood chips photo is large, and you expect it to be something other than what it is.  I'd look into your featured photo settings, see if you can tweak it slightly.  Maybe load a smaller image, maybe check the image settings to thumbnail.  (the two sites I have access to I have similar issues, so don't feel bad.)

Also as mentioned earlier, the responsive themes through Wordpress are adaptable to whatever system is viewing the images.  You won't see anything on the back end when you set up the pages, but the receiver's format makes the determining factor.  One thing I've found helpful is to use a variety of items to check out the page on my own... this is easier for me because I have a laptop, a tablet, and a smart phone I have access to, as well as both PCs and Macs at the school.  (That has been a benefit, too; cross-company comparison.  Just because some products and services work on a Mac doesn't mean it translates well to a PC... and vice-versa.)

On the Press page: Weekend Warrior Wood Working needs to be capitalized.  I'd also change some of the wording to "by writing for an online magazine."  (Don't stress if it's just an article, or a recurring column.  As more articles get published, you've already covered your contributions; if you don't contribute any more, you aren't inflating your contributions to make yourself or the site look better.)  Change the next sentence from "was" to "am"; was implies you are no longer excited and are now contributing out of a sense of obligation or guilt.  If you are going to use a shorter name, use the name the organization themselves use.  If Weekend 
Warrior Wood Working goes by 4W, use 4W.  If they go by Weekend, use Weekend.  If they only go by the full name, use the full name.  It's their identity, and they have the right to the full measure of respect from it as much as you have to "Feathered Woodworking."  Definitely use grammar and punctuation in the descriptions, particularly in the press page.  Don't worry about promoting their magazine for writers, unless you have a contract for promotion with them.  If you have contributed more than one article, include a link to your profile there; otherwise just include a link to your article.  Including the link to the main site for the magazine is acceptable, although I have several people who try to argue that point with me.

You will need to include more in the Tutorials page, but don't stress about having enough right now.  As you get more, you can add more.  For now, I'd pick two subjects to write about.  Perhaps the second one to be included is setting up for a craft fair, or selecting stones to use as inlay.  (Not just buying the kits, but matching colors and styles to grains and woods, that sort of thing.)  Also, one eventual tutorial you could set up would be a basic turning video that includes a simple bowl with one simple embellishment in the form of either a wire-burning ring or a stone inlay example.  Don't go too advanced without warning, but giving someone a taste will help a lot.

Don't worry about being self-taught.  As others have mentioned, it's part of a marketing campaign that can work... if you don't present it in a negative tone.  Change the "by studying only from" sentence to "Dan started by learning the basics from books and videos, but quickly challenged himself to keep up with his obsession.  He now has the experience to encourage his students to..."  At this point, it feathers back into what is already written.  The tone changes from "hey, I'm a guy who wants you to try products that might not suck," to "Hey.  Here's a product that you'll like."  Both are trying to be non-negative, but the second one stays and emphasizes the positive throughout.  Focus on what the reader or consumer wants, not on what you think they can use.

Consider tapping into resources at your school, too.  If they have a journalism department or class, see if some of the students or staff want to help out reviewing your writing and offering suggestions.  (Plus, it gives them a chance to be published, as well as offering you a chance to give an interview, which gets you more publicity.)  They also can take photos, and some of them will let you use those photos as long as they get credit.  I know of one photographer who charges a small fee to shoot some products... and another one who charges three digits for a quick photo shoot.  Photographers are worth their money, but you don't have to spend a fortune to find a good one.  (And use equipment other than just a smartphone camera.  For $100, you can find a great small digital camera that takes photos and video, and has a 16 megapixel camera.  My phone doesn't have that much.)

Other than these suggestions, you've got a pretty good site already.  You've gotten some great advice already, and have already done some changes.  Don't forget: this is your site, where you have your professional presence.  Keeping it professional will help; all the personal touches can be done in person.

• Like 1

I read the weekend title 4-5 times and never noticed:)

Ok I can't change my header it is sized that big don't know why but that is what it's set up to be. Frankly the size doesn't bother me enough to start over with a totally new website theme.

The text on the images on my tablet, computer, laptop, my phone and moms phone, all show the images with words that slide over when you hover over the post. Only on my iPod do the words stay, I have taken off the titles on the last 10 post where you can see just a image. Haven't decided what I'll do about that. I kind of liked the title sliding over on my different screens.

I'm working out a deal with the art gallery that I am working with to provide a photographer for all the member work. Then when I retake the pictures I'll repost them on here but that takes time. That way I don't have to buy a new camera or any equipment.

I have already written 2 rough tutorials that just need to proof and post I also have some materials/ source information that I'll be posting soon.

It thought about it probably will have to go that way just trying to do a ton of stuff plus I need to get all my stuf back from where I have my stuff for sale. I'll have to contact that lady and pick it all up but don't want to till I need it for a sale in July. Was hoping to get something set up with this co-op so then I can get pictures taken here in town when ever I finish a piece.