Thinking of building a shop...

BuilderBill

I've just about outgrown the basement area, starting to think about a separate shop. More room, the wife gets spared the noise, etc..

I'm attaching a floor plan, any feedback? I want to limit the width to 16' so I can use 2x10's for the ceiling joists and have lumber storage in the attic, it'll be on a slab and I can do all the work myself except for the grading.

Suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Best,

Bill

post-1150-0-59962200-1399428363_thumb.jp

Looks pretty nice to me. May need to consider more space allowance for the dust collection system, unless that red thing in the upper-right corner is the DC. I'm assuming the rectangle marked 'vac' is your dust collection. Anyway, if I had a dedicated shop, a beefy dust collector would be high on my priority list.

Yes looks a great layout to me too and a similar size to my shop. What are those red circles in the separate room in the top corner? If they are, as wtn queries, a dust collector in its own room that is great for noise reduction.

Also I like the idea of having a separate room for storage of tools. I presume these are your power tools? Dust gets everywhere and having a door you can close minimizes mess all over your tool storage.

Yeah, red circles are a DC, on a different layer in the drawing and I didn't move it. Sorry for the confusion. And the storage is for portable power tools, I have them on wire shelves and they're a PITA to keep clean now.

The vac is a CT26 with the UDD from Oneida, I just parked it in the corner but it'll be drug all over.

All the tools are on wheels so there'll be some flexibility in positioning, I'll put a couple of outlets in the floor down the middle for the table saw and the MFT station.

And Dave, no loo. Our home is on a septic system and the tank is at the other side of the lot. But I'll probably put in a slop sink going into a grey-water pit.

Also no finishing room. :(

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

If you use the kapex for cutting stock to rough length it should be on the other wall near the lumber rack.  The drum sander isn't in a very good location.  If the fence on the jointer is low enough, I like putting it next to the table saw.  Whenever you can get tools to share infeed/outfeed space without interfering you are way ahead of the game.  Check the "my shop is shrinking" thread for pictures of my shop which is a little smaller and has way more stuff in it.  If you use the volume under your tools and benches for storage you don't need 10' of cabinets. 

Thoughts:

1-If possible, build it a little bigger than you actually need.  Unless you're a real visionary, you and your shop will evolve together and that often entails needing a little more room for this or that.

2-Electrical - Use a lot of vision when installing an electrical panel.  220V is a must and install a panel with a LOT more breakers than you think you'll ever use.  The cost is about the same for a box with a small amount of breakers vs one with many breakers. Also, there isn't much cost difference so put a box with PLENTY of amps - mine is 100A and I'm a one man show - point, only one tool at a time is used but it gives me the capability if I want to, of having a fridge, a fan, a TV, an Ice maker in the corner...etc, you get it, many possibilities, and more amps for about the same price is in my mind a no brainer. Run receptacles all around the shop and they're cheap so don't skimp. run the receptacle wires in conduit and size the conduit just a little larger so if you decide to come back and run a 220v line somewhere, you can use the same conduit.

3-ceilings at least 10' high gives you the option of storing sheets and boards upright if you want.

4-plan for a heat pump....you won't need a large one but I have one in my detached garage shop 21x27 and it's very nice to just hit the thermostat and bring the temp to comfortable.  I'm almost 55yrs old and am less tolerable to "roughing it" if a little planning and a little money will fix that. I asked on this forum a good while back and make the point I had to keep the costs down and quickly the discussion went downhill to pricey things...good things, but way more money than I wanted to spend.  I had my HVAC man looking for a used heat pump for me.  He called and said he had one for $500 that was a 2007 model so it still had warranty on the compressor.  I grabbed it.  Get this...it's a 3 ton unit.  No matter the weather outside, 100 or 25 degrees, I can start it and in 15 minutes, it's comfortable in the shop.

5-No 4" lines on the DC - 6" lines. Drop with 4" but 6" will allow you to have good flow and you can upgrade your DC later if you want a larger one and the 6" will work better.

6-Reconsider the entrance door.  For more options, have a double door where one usually stays bolted top and bottom but both doors can be opened to remove a larger piece that you've built.

7-Shop sink is a good idea.  BUT do not plumb it into your septic tank because any chemicals will kill the septic system's bacteria.

8-Not sure on the outside or siding of your building but if wood sided, T111 for instance, consider running a course of block around the perimeter and build on that.  I've seen the T111 last much longer instead of being close to the ground and rotting on the ends. Not a bad idea even if your building is metal.

9-I think I would exchange the DC and the tool storage box on the other side of that wall (right above the 4'11/2" measurement.  The tools would be a little more accessible BUT having the DC on the other side of that wall will lessen the noise a lot if you keep that door closed to the 'tool room'. OR....take the DC and just put it where the box is beside it to the right in the tool storage room and recover the storage space by lengthening the 4' cabinet to 6".  It looks like you have two 4' storage units.  Just make the bottom one 6' to recover the space and in the corner of it, install a lazy Susan to be able to get to everything. Where the DC is now would become empty space that you could use some other way if you ever wanted to.  Also with higher ceilings, the tool storage units can go really high to maximize the space.

10 - Personally, I would like more natural light.  Since it seems that you aren't planning to store things on the walls too much, would you put a double window unit on each of the long walls?

11-SPEAKING OF LIGHTING.....don't skimp there either.  As the eyes age, it really helps to have plenty of light to see the scales and pencil lines....On this forum, Vic knows all about the latest and greatest of what's available and can advise you on costs and efficiency.

As Delmar said in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"...."That's all I got"

Tim

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Been kicking this around with the wife, the situation is a bit complicated since we're still trying to figure out if we want to die here or move out of the 'burbs up to the Appalachian foothills. If we move dropping $30K or so on a workshop is a waste of money, if we don't it'll be great for me and get the noisy stuff out of the basement for her. And the kids can worry about it after the funeral. ;)

Seems like we're agreeing that despite the hassle of living within the urban sprawl we like our house, like being close to family and Downtown and we can probably put up with the inconvenience for another 20 years or so until we keel over. Plus there's the bonus of not taking on another mortgage at the age of 60.

So it looks like this is actually going to happen if SWMBO can relocate the herd garden! Damn the torpedoes and all that, I just have to fit it in between the setback line and the septic system.

I'll reply to all of your responses in detail later but this is for sjeff70 who wanted build pix. My latest build, 11,237 sft. including full finished basement and garage:

post-1150-0-01268000-1402534245_thumb.jp

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement!

Best,

Bill