A smattering of end grain boards...

Ned Bulken

Hi gang, latest project on my bench is a bunch of cutting boards: pardon the image size... once and future pro photographer, I like to get every pixel I can use in post production...

These are all 'smaller' boards 8x10 or so, about 3/4 to 4/4 thick. maple, walnut and cherry for the most part (one all cherry in there)... several of these were scrap bin cleaners... pieces salvaged from older projects... all thrown together.

largescrap1aa.jpg

walnutsquare1.jpg

mapleendsone.jpg

cherryscraps1.jpglatestbatchoneoiling.jpg

Thanks Byrdie, I like the 'random' boards too, though they are 'more' work than the others simply in the glue up phase... fitting the strips together that weren't originally for the same board. 

Janello, thanks, that's a good hefty board... measures just over 1.25" thick. I'm always amazed at what turns up when I cut the strips and do the initial flip up to vertical. I hadn't seen the pith running through that piece of maple. 

Mark, no sweat, they're just boards. One of my favorites that I've made has a similar wild trend to it... big hefty board, easily 2" thick. I'd keep it in a heartbeat, but my wife hates it, so it is on the 'to sell' list.

maplecherrythick2.jpg

Just shows that everyone's taste is different. 

kiki, 

thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm an old hand at forum life... I cut my eye teeth forum wise in 'the basement' over on woodnet... (no hold barred, any topic, just don't curse...) so it's pretty much a given I've got thick virtual skin.

I think calling anyone's work "ugly" is in bad taste.  If you have constructive criticism, great.  Speak it.  If you have a favorite, say why.  If you have nothing more to add than to simply call something ugly, keep it to yourself.  People put their heart and souls in their builds.  It's kind of like calling someone's child ugly.  Ya just don't do it.  Lecture over, carry on.

I think number three looks like a Rorschach test. :D  Definitely unique.

Welcome to the forum, Ned.

If somebody called my kids ugly I'd laugh my socks off

1. I don't have any (that I know of).
  2. Any kid with my genes is going to way beyond ugly - just like me :P

Now can you imagine the chaos if we all liked the same things. Today I like number three, yesterday I didn't (number two is still my fav though).

kiki, 

thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm an old hand at forum life... I cut my eye teeth forum wise in 'the basement' over on woodnet... (no hold barred, any topic, just don't curse...) so it's pretty much a given I've got thick virtual skin.

That's not what this place is about.  There are plenty of woodworking forums to participate in...a lot of guys don't go to those places, including me, because of the sheer amount of rancor, rudeness, bickering, ego.  Marc has (somehow) successfully established a friendly community here, and I think it's worth trying to preserve with the occasional reminder of the "no jerks" policy.

I don't think Mark's comment was especially viscous and I don't think he was really trying to be insulting, but I know if I was proud enough to post a picture of one of my pieces on a forum and someone called it ugly, I wouldn't love that.  I think constructive criticism is a great thing, and I always appreciate it when people are honest enough to give me their real opinions about my work.  But I think stopping short of saying, "Wow, that's just ugly, dude," is probably a good rule of thumb. :)

Dave, I've been meaning to tell you...that is the most bad ass mug shot I've ever seen.  You look like Dostoevsky...right before his mock execution. :D

Dave, I've been meaning to tell you...that is the most bad ass mug shot I've ever seen.  You look like Dostoevsky...right before his mock execution. :D

You saying my face looks like my ass!!!!! No way, I've been told I have a nice looking ass :) Actually it's the photo on my driving licence.

Back on topic ... number 3 is now growing on me. Still not as nice as no 2 but ...

• 2 months later...

I THINK THEY'RE ALL ......ER.....UMMM......UNIQUE. ;)  

You could say "man she has a face that would stop a clock".....or ......you could say, "when I look at her...it makes time stand still" :P I like the randomness of all of them but yeah....the colors work better on some than others.  Hey, you can't buy another like any of them, anywhere in the world!  The prettier ones, bring into the house or give to a friend....the lesser than ones, clean fish on!