Easy method to move toggle clamps between jigs?

bglenden

Does anyone have any cute techniques to quickly move toggle clamps between jigs? I bought some Bessey auto-adjust clamps, and they are pricey enough that I'd prefer to move them around than buy lots of them. Obviously for jigs with T-track I could just put them on a carrier, but what about jigs where they are in a fixed position? Obviously this isn't a very profound problem, but since I was thinking about it I thought I'd ask if anyone has thought of any ingenious solution. (Kreg sells an attachment plate, but it's not that much cheaper than the clamp!).

Cheers,

Brian

Screws is easy, but I was worried that the underlying jig material (sometimes MDF) would give up after 2-3 tries. I was thinking maybe short hanger bolts (1") except I'm not sure they exist, or maybe threaded inserts. Probably I'm over thinking it...

Cheers,

Brian

I use square drive pan head screws, usually 1 1/4" long and mount the clamp to 3/4 by 4 3/4 wide strip of plywood which I use as a fence. The base of the jig is 3/4" ply and I added a 1" square cleat to the underside which gets clamped in the vise for quick use. I screw the back corners into the assembly table for heavy use.

Jig with a piece of plywood as a second fence to stop a long part from pivoting. I just clamped a piece of poplar in place to show how you can work on a long edge.

post-6363-0-13870600-1400107598_thumb.jp

Jig open . Screws and cordless driver in the background.

post-6363-0-15853700-1400107706_thumb.jp

You can see the hundreds of holes where I have moved the clamps and fences around.

Thanks all for the advice - I'll try the simplest solution (screws) first and wait for that to fail before trying anything more complicated (I do think the dovetail ideas is pretty cool and will use that if/when I need to try something else). Clearly my day job has trained me to look for overly complicated solutions!

Cheers,

Brian

You can always move the clamp over just a little bit when the holes are stripped out if you don't have time to epoxy or super glue the hole. There are several holes on each clamp, so just use some different ones.

Another trick is to dip a toothpick or bamboo skewer in regular yellow glue and jam it in the stripped hole.

My approach to moving the Bessey toggle clamps is speed, which is why I use the square drive pan head screws . I keep them around for pocket hole joinery but they get more use in jigs. Sometimes I need to apply maximum pressure and that is when I fill every hole on the clamp with the longest screw the jig can handle.

When I move a fence I run the sander over the fence and base to smooth out any bumps from screw holes.

I've got some sanding blocks that are held together with a couple of drywall screws into plywood.  Going on 8 years now, every time I've changed the paper those screws have gone in and out.  Never did anything special to them.  Granted it doesn't get as much force put on it as a toggle clamp, but sometimes I think we worry a little too much about screw holes wearing out.  It's either going to strip out the first time or be fine for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,what is the thing in the background w/ the dowel rods used for?

It is a drying rack. 3 sections assemble on a base with casters and the dowels are arms that hold freshly sprayed parts so that the finish can dry. It also is handy for drying contact cement when we do laminate work.

post-6363-0-62009100-1402167401_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...