Beech huntboard

Bombarde16

I'd probably put opposing curves with the same radius as the inner curves. and maybe a 1/4" chamfer all the way around.

however, it might be interesting to try to do something with the underside edge of the top. not sure what though, perhaps just a half the thickness chamfer, with a similar sized chamfer on the front of the backsplash.

the piece has simple lines and curves, so probably shouldn't do anything too wild. or, maybe...

I hope you don't mind me saying, but the high part of the backplash seems too tall to me. perhaps it's the perspective.

Easy enough to make it shorter...

Only got two hours of shop time today and all of it was spent playing with the DT jig. It's an older and probably cheaper version of the Porter-Cable I have at home.

u7uga9yb.jpg

No surprises here. A long train of test cuts. Test, crosscut a fresh end and then test again.

apupuhe5.jpg

And in the end you have the jig mostly set. I got everything dialed in and then walked away for the evening. Back tomorrow to see how it still looks and potentially make some cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thing I decided to bag it yesterday and come back afresh today. Went so much easier this morning and I got all nine drawers DT'd.

amumaput.jpg

Biggest time consumer was the lateral adjustment. This particular DT jig has separate stops for the top (pins) and face (tails) clamping surfaces. Infinite adjustability means an infinite number of ways for things to be wrong. Once I had them set to each other, I made spacers to get the stock in the right place.

5aqu5y3u.jpggepe8ejy.jpg

Ten or eleven test joints later, it was time to cross the Rubicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob Horton

post-211-0-31254500-1402015764_thumb.jpg

Oak parts into the vapors

http://youtu.be/gAr1aYjFiEY

...and the table top and other beech parts getting a head start on shellac.

post-211-0-26696500-1402015760_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty in this shot but up close it's a brushy-streaky mess.  Brushing it on full strength, straight from the can trying to build a film.  We'll scrape and sand it flat later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that's what I'm talking about!!  You took a bunch of boards, that looked like they were milled by a drunk sailor, and turned them into a beautiful piece if work!  You should be proud.... I'd love to help clean up a shop like that, with that sort of end result!