Morris Chair - Greene & Greene

I thought I would share these photos of a couple Morris Chairs I built in the Greene & Greene style.  I really like how they came out.  I took some heat for my design, from the people over on the Yahoo Greene & Greene forum. I guess I'm up for some more abuse, because I'm posting this again.  The chairs are basically finished, I just have to get the cushions made.  My sister is good with the sawing machine and she said she would give me a helping hand.  We just need to get out find the fabric we want.

I'm not sure what Marc has planned for his cushions, but I found this site that has some good information and you can order foam from them.

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/

Pictures:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD9E3E7C0B8E862!20084&authkey=!AIGpsYI64E8rerY&ithint=folder%2c.JPG

Anyone wanting to do G&G details on this chair should take a look at the Pasadena Bungalow version in the Stickley catalog. Download or buy the printed catalog, the website pictures don't do it justice.

Mike, I mean this as constructive criticism and this is just my personal opinion but you totally blew it when you went with straight and parallel lines on the inside side rails. This chair is all about curves, right triangles are totally out of character and are a distraction from an otherwise great piece of work. The arm curve should be repeated down to the upper bottom rail for symmetry, add a cloud lift on the lower bottom rail to bring things back to reality. Take a look at the Stickley Pasadena version and you'll see what I mean. Other than that, great work, and I mean that sincerely.

Best,

Bill

Thanks for the constructive criticism.  At least those that had something to say, said why, I can except that.  I also know Greene & Greene isn't for everyone, but I like the style and it works well in our "library".

Woodworker100, I used Sapele on the chairs.  I considered leather, but it was going to be pricey to have someone do.  I can deal with fabric myself, and you have many more choices of color and patterns.  I don't know how much I need yet, but it's really not much.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would share these photos of a couple Morris Chairs I built in the Greene & Greene style. I really like how they came out. I took some heat for my design, from the people over on the Yahoo Greene & Greene forum. I guess I'm up for some more abuse, because I'm posting this again. The chairs are basically finished, I just have to get the cushions made. My sister is good with the sawing machine and she said she would give me a helping hand. We just need to get out find the fabric we want.

I'm not sure what Marc has planned for his cushions, but I found this site that has some good information and you can order foam from them.

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/

Pictures:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD9E3E7C0B8E862!20084&authkey=!AIGpsYI64E8rerY&ithint=folder%2c.JPG

Mike, I really like the G&G details, especially the cloud lift sides, corbels, and especially the back slats. I'm going to attempt to "quote" some of these magnificent details and I will certainly give you the credit if I'm succesful at incorporating these elements in my chairs.

All the best,

Allen