Looking for suggestions for stripper

delegante

No not that kind of stripper!

I have some poplar cabinets with a cherry stain I'm looking to refinish. I'll strip the faceframes and build new drawer fronts and doors but I haven't refinished anything in 10 years so I thought I'd see what strippers everyone suggests.

Any idea what topcoat is on the cabinets? Usually it is some sort of polyurathane, but it could be something else. It might help to know when choosing a chemical stripper.

If you plan to change the color of the wood, you may just end up having to sand or scrape the top layer off anyway. In that case, I would probably skip the chemical and go straight to 80 or even 60 grit paper.

Hopefully one of the pros will chime in with better advice soon.

That title is so leading ...

I think I'd probably start with simple sanding first and see where that leads.  I'm not a big fan of chemical strippers as I'm never really feel you completely get them out of the product when done and that compromises the future finish.

My typical process is a heat gun and a scraper to remove the film, then a water based stripper to pull any remnants out of the grain.  From there it's a quick rinse with some water, light sanding and good to go.  I like the Bahco scrapers, and as far as strippers (uh-Hum...) Aqua-strip :rolleyes:.   Still sounds dirty....

I would use a methylene chloride stripper in a well ventilated area. Make sure it is pretty warm, strippers don't work as well when they're cold. Pick the heaviest can of paste stripper (methylene chloride is very heavy, the heaviest can will have the most in it) Put in on and leave it alone for a while to do it's job. If you have to scrape the finish off you haven't done it right. It should just blister off or dissolve and you will be able to very easily remove it with a putty knife without scratching the wood.