*sigh* (I hate sketchup)... what am I doing wrong?

Milo

I'm trying to make a corner unit.  Pentagonal in shape.

I made the top, and then two sides.  But much to my frustration, when I went to move/copy the top piece to make shelves and the bottom, I can't get the stupid new shelves to "snap" into place.

They are either though the legs, or not even on the top, or SOMETHING.

I'm 50 years old, and finally getting to the point I don't think anything wants to work right any more. At least for me. :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK, so maybe I did figure that out... but now I have another problem.  I have some angle that are not parallel to the X,Y, and Z axes. I went to make a rectangle along one line that was 45 degrees to the red line, and couldn't do it.  Same thing when I tried to draw line.  They all seem to want to be parallel to the 3 axes.

How do you get around this?

Thanks!

If you don't want to draw the rectangle along one of the axes and then rotate it (as mentioned above), you can first set the axes to align along your chosen line and then draw the rectangle.  I have had to use this technique on a number of occasions when I wanted to stretch a surface that wasn't aligned with the default axes.  The axes tool is what allows you to do this.  Select the tool and click somewhere on your line. Then click on another point on your line to set the first axis (which will be along your line), then one more click somewhere to set the second axis and you are done.  To remove these "working" axes, just right click on them and select Reset.

So what your saying is whenever I need to make a new object that has straight line is to make sure that I orient the original piece so the side I am going to apply a new piece to is on the red or green axis?

Also, is the way to make new parts of the table "snap" to other pieces is to enlarge or lengthen the new piece along the line of a previously made piece?

Does that make sense?

Milo

Ok, practice make perfect!

I figured out of to find a midpoint, but for some reason I am unable to measure out from the midpoint.  I need to measure 10" out from each side.  I've had a lot of success using the measure box in the lower left hand corner and typing length in, but it's not working now.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

1) Already answered by Terry - make a component then copy

2) remember that you can move your axis and reorient it to a new point.  

3) if you're trying to make a guideline parallel to another 10" away, you don't need to specifically from the midpoint.  In fact I usually find it better to measure from a random point on the line you want to parallel.  And you will be more accurate by starting to measure away and then typing the distance into the dialog box.  If you're not trying to make a parallel guide then I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Finally, Sketchup has a YouTube channel with lots of nice tutorials as well as video of some cool symposiums they recently did on different uses for Sketchup.  I have a subscription and know that they recently updated/reposted alot of the tutorial videos. They might provide some good review for you on the questions you're asking.

OK, so maybe I'm not hating Sketchup as MUCH right now...

Question though.  I've split the shelves up into 3 parts so I can mill them from wood I have on hand, and not use plywood for the.

It's two 5.5 x 48 pieces and a 10.25 x 48 piece.

Now, I've made the two components, and copied the one to make the 3 pieces.  I added the dimension to make it .75x5.5x10.25.  I wanted to push them together to emulate how they would be a single shelf when I was done.

Unfortunately, I cannot get Sketchup to "snap" the pieces together.  It's either a 1/16 apart or overlapped.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I also find being really zoomed in helps.

If I understand the question correctly, make sure that the part you want to move is all one component or group and that the entire group or component is selected.  When trying to snap two pieces together using the move tool, I find it best to figure out one point on each of the two objects that you want to line up.  It's usually best if these are corners.  Touch the move tool to that point on the object you want to move, engage it and then move it to the mating point on the other object.  Disengage and you're done.

Don't forget to save your work.

• Like 1