Kitchen Island Top

..Kev

Picked up a project for a repeat client today to build a top for an island in a kitchen. 

8/4 maple that I hope will finish out at about 1 3/4.  Nothing fancy here but thought I'd put it up.

Used the domino for alignment and did the glue ups in 2 halves so that they still fit in my planer.  I'll get them pulled out of the clamps tomorrow, run them thru the planer, and then put the 2 halves together.

The lumber

g2c6.jpg

The glue ups - 2 inch strips using the domino for alignment.

vjax1.jpg

• Like 1

Looking Good. TIODS, would you post a picture when you get a chance of your table? Looks like a combo out feed/work table. I'm trying to get ideas for mine. Thanks

I did a journal on it here..

Let me know if there's something you'd like more detail on..

1) Question, and sorry to get away from the original subject; pic # 9 - "Top On" & pic # 1 - "Cacase", are those the same table?

2) Nice lab and Canadian

3) Glad that wasn't your trigger finger :)

They are the same size and the frames of both are construction material but that's about all they have in common.  The original table was donated to a friend of mine who's just starting out in woodworking and is still being used.

I am very happy that wasn't the trigger finger either  ;)

Not sure what you're referring to on item #2?

When I went to the journal you mentioned from 12-2013 and clicked on the pics to get a larger view, it took me to, I guess, a facebook page (as I don't do fb, I'm not sure what one looks like). In there was a pic of I guess, you and a yellow lab and a greater Canadian. We see very few of those this far south.

When I went to the journal you mentioned from 12-2013 and clicked on the pics to get a larger view, it took me to, I guess, a facebook page (as I don't do fb, I'm not sure what one looks like). In there was a pic of I guess, you and a yellow lab and a greater Canadian. We see very few of those this far south.

Ah, ok, that makes sense..  That was her first one, weighed about 14 pounds so I had to help her out..lol

Shaped and sanded..  Salad bowl finish coming up..

van8u.jpg

I really wish this client would have let me do something interesting with this piece..  Some color, shape, anything to be honest.  To me this looks like it's stuck in the 80's  :D  

• 1 month later...

I think I saw one of those on American Pickers recently.  

I'm picturing a kitchen with a Victorian period-style decorum.

It's not needed but I just got the idea of welding on some very small iron casters, and it could act as a server as well.  

I've seen this on some Federal pieces but what you have there is beautiful the way it is.

I think I saw one of those on American Pickers recently.  

I'm picturing a kitchen with a Victorian period-style decorum.

It's not needed but I just got the idea of welding on some very small iron casters, and it could act as a server as well.  

I've seen this on some Federal pieces but what you have there is beautiful the way it is.

It has small wheels on it now.

Thanks all for the kind words!

Very nice Tiods, I found one in my Grandmothers attic a few years ago when we were cleaning out her house. The machine, treadle, and pulley wheel were missing, and the cabinet was shot so I did the same thing and made it into a table base. There are wheels made into the base, but they don't roll very well.

How's the height for an island? Mine would be on the low side.