Woodies

Rick Mosher

I have always seen "faces" in the wood grain especially with highly figured wood, so I started making what I call "Woodies" and selling them in a gallery. Here is one I made on figured olive ash. The eyes and some of the facial detail was added by me using touch up techniques with artists oil colors and graining pencils.

2457-woody-book-matched-olive-ash-veneer  

• Like 1

That's awesome!  What kind of finish do you use on something like that?

That one is finished with 2K urethane but I have finished many with lacquer or conversion varnish.

Rick, too cool! These are book match pieces and not one piece, right? 

This one is a book matched veneer but I also re-saw solid pieces of scrap wood, book match the pieces together and make some out of that as well.

I am super pleased you joined and have so quickly begun to contribute at an energetic level. This kind of visionary creativity is some of the most valuable content to me in helping to show how shape and figure lend themselves various out of the box uses. Thank you!

• Like 2

Love these too.  Funny on the walnut - wdwrker saw an elephant and I saw a bird of prey.

My first thought was that you could easily sell prints of these.  I'll bet a lot of woodworkers, including this one, wouldn't mind having framed prints like this hanging in their shop offices or even their shops.  My dad is a retired photographer who still dabbles and he sells prints through a site called "Fine Art America"  

If you're going to offer prints for sale on a site like that let me know because I'd love to take a look.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...