Wood identification picture book

W1ngnu7_1628

Taunton has a pretty good book, the photos are a little bit small though.  It has a lot of good information to go with the photos as well.  I think the suggestion from HHH of getting a book of veneer swatches is probably your best bet.  

As far as getting basic information and quick photos wood-database.com is a solid resource, but you would do well to go the the About the Project page, and buy a copy of the original source material they copied to make the page (if for no other reason than to support the primary researchers/publishers)

• 4 weeks later...

You won't find anything else on the internet that has as many really large pics as what you'll find on my site (the one suggested in post #3, and in mysignature)

If you want hardcopy books for identifying wood, there simply isn't anything else out there to compare with Hoadley's "Identifying Wood". It's the gold standard. His "Understanding Wood" is also a terrific book but less useful for identifying particular species.

I should add though, that when I recommend Hoadley, I"m assuming that you are willing to clean up the end grain enough to see the fine-grain details with a 10X loupe. If you don't want to go that far and only want to try an ID by face grain shots, then my site is the best you will find of anything available in either hardcopy or softcopy (mine's just a web site though, no hardcopy).

The Wood Database (recommended in post #2) is another good site for idenfying wood, but Eric just puts up one or two pics per species where I have dozens if not hundreds.