Easel Build

mkirby

Decided to tackle the WFC easel build as i think I'm at a point where my skills are good enough to get it done.

I'm only using hand tools as thats all i have so took the 1st step got the parts laid out and boards cross cut.

14234275046_952457bf3a.jpg

My other half helped me lay out hence the doodles all over the pieces :)

so i took a week off work to make a start. and i got this far.

14367384783_60e53850b8.jpg

Its been very wet and humid here. As soon as i got the 1st side flat then by the time i was working on the 2nd the board had cupped again. So i need to remake a leg and a rail as i just didn't have enough thickness left to correct the movement.

i stil have to get al my parts to final size which is still a lot of milling to go. i suspect i will lose more parts to wood movement but its all good learning at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

The wood did stabilise. Infact it pretty much straightened itself out. Only one serious twist to get out.

Hopefully this weekend i will get all the tray parts milled to final size. Shouldn't take long as they are all pretty much the same thickness so just length and width to sort out.

Not to jinx it but i might get some joinery started too :)

Slow going but I'm enjoying it and it stops me making loads of mistakes.

• Like 1

Got a bit more done today.

All the tray parts now have parallel edges and are to width. assuming they don't move tomorrow i can get them all identical.

So it should just be a case of getting them to length and all the same thickness. Here i have an issue half the boards are just under an inch 2 are 3/4 and one is under 3/4.

I think i will take the thick boards down to 3/4 and see how they move. Then i will lay them out and see how obvious the difference in thickness looks. If i use the thin board for a tray back you probably won't notice by the time the tray is full. Plenty of wood if i do want to make another back.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a good bit of progress today. Got the tray joinery all cut just the grooves for the tray bottoms todo. 1 sloppy dado and a wonky rabbet but nothing too taxing to fix. Generally fits together quite nice.

Lot of prep needed before I'm ready for finish, i have a lot of tear out and tool marks to remove. 

14577776484_de99d3e43d.jpg

Hopefully i will have it all prepped ready for finish tomorrow:) I will be glad to get this bit completely done and set aside :)

• Like 1

I got the grooves cut for the tray bottoms tonight. I screwed one up yesterday and had to install a patch but that seems to have repaired ok.

Next up is to cut out the tray bottoms get rid of any tear out, smooth and glue up.

This has got to be the longest easel build ever, so much for a weekends build :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Over 3 months later and constriction is finally done with a little help from my glue supervisor.

14920746437_f7839cbea6.jpg

14920618549_6604bcc1dd.jpg

Just need to trim the frames to fit in the tray, cut the panels and sand sand sand.

At least i can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.