Easel Build

mkirby

I had to use clamps already to get the other 3 in. I think the twist has moved the holes so they don't line up.

Clamping isn't really a long term solution as the person I'm giving this to won't be able to wrestle it back together.

I think a better solution is to remove the hinges and reassemble and see if i can just shim the hinges to give me enough freedom to move the pieces into place. 

I dunno, i'm having a tough time of late so just leaving it be so i don't make any stupid mistakes at this stage.

So i gave up and re drilled the holes in the legs so now you can get the tray on without any clamps. Its a faff to do but it can be done with a bit of fiddling.

It does mean that the blackboards are on an angle compared to the tray but i don't think anyone will notice unless they stare at it for a long time. Besides if i try to fix it i know i will make it worse. Best to call it a day and let the mistakes be, it can be used perfectly fine and its the 1st big thing i have ever made.

I have cut the bevelled feet and got it level so it doesn't rock when on carpet. I tried on the my living room floor which has wooden laminate down. Get it in the right place and it doesn't rock.

Its not the best test as i have a fish tank putting over one tonne of force on the floor so its a bit distorted. Carpet works so that good enough for me.

So this afternoon will be plugging the holes and repairing chips and dents and that sort of thing.

All thats left todo is make the blackboards, thickness the cleats and put the finish on.

Managed to get the old holes plugged tonight.

Little tip do not use a plug cutter on a Bradson No 5 pillar drill (hand cranked) the friction is enough to set walnut on fire. Bloody stinks too when it burns.

Any way just a few bits of chipout to sort out, only 1 bit is on a visible face where a drill bit poked through before i realised.

Sooooo close now.

• 1 month later...

Just a little update. Work stalled as i came off my bike. Went over a level crossing and got stuck between the rail and the road. Sadly landed on my hands and wrecked them, nothing broken thankfully.

Since then i haven't been able to put any pressure on my hands which means no sanding.

Hoping to get it done before xmas but it all depends how long my hands take to heal.

That's one of the reasons I quit riding. Falls can be brutal, especially if you use frog clips. Unbelievable how embarrassing it is to stall on a steep climb because you failed to downshift soon enough, then slowly topple, like a redwood in the forest, because you can't get the stinkin' shoes to unclip....

i had a lesson on Thursday and managed to play some duets. I did lose my grip at one point and my thumb hurts like hell.

I bit the bullet and pushed through the pain and got the damn thing sanded. I have hoovered up as much dust as i can and i have given the piece a wash in white spirit to get the rest off. Waiting for that to flash off then the 1st coat of danish oil is going on this afternoon :)

Looks well nice with the white spirit so hopefully the danish oil won't show the mistakes up too much (thankfully all the big dents and scratches are on the inside so won't be seen unless you take it all apart)

Thanks guys.

Just got in form applying the 1st coat of danish oil. More oil ended up on me, the bench and the floor than the project :)

Looks really nice so far, hopefully i caught all the runs and drips.

So hopefully by sunday i will have a completed easel :)

• Like 1