Wavy Cutting Board

..Kev

Don't recall who posted this recently here but, I really liked the idea..  Thought I'd give it a go..

Simple walnut cutting boards all milled and glued up.  Will put in the maple and purple heart this weekend..  

2c71.jpg

Tiods, The first one of these I made, when I glued in the first strip, I was careful making sure the surface of the two halves was flat but was not too concerned about the length being exactly right as I figured I could always trim the whole thing to length when I was through. So, I was about a 1/16' off. But when I cut the board in two the second time and glued in the second strip, it made the first strip be off by a 1/16". I'm not sure if I said that to where it was clear, cause now I'm confused, but it is important that the ends of the cutting board be even when you glue them up. 

There is an article in FWW by Scott Lewis http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/a-unique-cutting-board.aspx

And he also did a video http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/the-coolest-cutting-board-ever.aspx

Also, be sure and keep the radius of your curves gradual. Good luck to ya. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Every time I see pictures of your shop I get supremely jealous!

Looking forward to see the end result. 

Thanks Mike, I'm sure there's nothing there you don't have..  I've seen some pretty awesome stuff come from your shop as well!

Tiods, The first one of these I made, when I glued in the first strip, I was careful making sure the surface of the two halves was flat but was not too concerned about the length being exactly right as I figured I could always trim the whole thing to length when I was through. So, I was about a 1/16' off. But when I cut the board in two the second time and glued in the second strip, it made the first strip be off by a 1/16". I'm not sure if I said that to where it was clear, cause now I'm confused, but it is important that the ends of the cutting board be even when you glue them up. 

There is an article in FWW by Scott Lewis http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/a-unique-cutting-board.aspx

And he also did a video http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/the-coolest-cutting-board-ever.aspx

Also, be sure and keep the radius of your curves gradual. Good luck to ya. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks for the heads up!  These are a bit over sized in all directions so, I have some trim room.  I also cut the inlay pieces extra long for the same reason.

Thanks for the articles as well!

Got the glue ups done today.. Had a couple other projects working at the same time... :P There are 2 purple heart strips and a maple in the middle.  Will look better when the glue dries and everything is trimmed..

1b4e.jpg

Looks great so far Kevin! Did you cut the curves for the walnut on the bandsaw and then run flush them up on the router table?

Yes.  I made a template, cut it on the band saw, sanded and made sure the 2 halves fit properly together, then used those to cut and flush trim the cutting board.  Very happy with the results so far!

The temperatures were pretty warm here today so, I was pushing the limits on glue set time.  Not sure I'd of got too many more layers in without switching to something slower.

SWEET!! Now, every time the Mrs. comes close to it with a knife, you're gonna give her that look of "are you really"

Nah..  She can go for it..  It's not end grain so it'll pop right back in the planer..  It's also not hard to do so, if I need to build another, it doesn't take that long..

• 2 weeks later...