My shop is shrinking

rodger.

My wife and I have decided to sell our large rural property, and move into a larger community (with a tiny lot) so my daughter can have a really nice school to go to, and more children her own age to play with. So along with the house and property, went the 1000 square foot shop.

Now i am getting a single stall garage, so about 11 x 20, so 220 square feet. Quite a difference. Now to be fair, I often parked the car in half of the other shop, so it was more like a 500 square foot shop most of the time.

Anyways, my new, more condensed area, is in the design stage. I'll post some ideas as i search about for creative use of space. The festool line of tools will help me consense some (for example the domino replaces my mortise machine), but I cannot give up some space hogs (TS, Planer, jointer, DC, etc). My first order of business is to insulate (drywall is already up so I may need to blow it in), paint, and get an electrician in to wire me a sub panel. Then it will be lights, floor, and wall storage.

I am dissapointed in the shrinking shop, but excited for a "clean slate" to be creative with.

Welcome to the dark side, Pug.  You're in for a challenge.  It's taken a lot of trial and error to squeeze myself comfortably into a two car garage.  And I do mean a lot.  I can't tell you how many organizational projects have fallen by the wayside due to subsequent organizational projects.  So many hours wasted.  But it's all part of the evolution.  I try to take solace in that.

Not sure I could pull off a single and be happy.  But it is what it is...the kiddos always take priority.  Enjoy your cramped style! :D

There is a large-ish, unfinished basement which I am tempted to use.  There are so many issues with using a basement however, so it feels like it may be a non-starter.

Whats nice about an unfinished basement is that it a nice spot to store the things that end up everywhere else (like the garage).  So the basement is an option for the new shop, but I am not confident its a good fit.  There is a lot of natural light and large windows, but no walkout, so all projects go up a flight of stairs and out a single door.

==>Shop and fabricate in the basement, assembly and finishing in the garage? You would have to haul the materials back-and-forth but you wouldn't have to haul a finished piece up-and-down .

+1.. You got there right before I did...

I've run into issues having no place to store projects while I wait for glue or finish to set up.  Since I have to pack up my shop every night, this is something I've discovered (accidentally) is a major drawback.  Wherever you plan yours to go, leave some assembullee areas.  I'm a big fan of the basement build/ garage off gas idea...

Take a peek at some of the background shots of Matthias Wandel's basement, maybe you can find other tools to (don't really want to say it) find other locations for.  (Or convince the family that Mike Rowe is right, and a vocational training is more important than a great education?)

Basements do a nice job of moderating temperature so even without heat or cooling they are never unworkable.   But people with large shops waste huge amounts of space.  My basement shop is 300 sq ft and I have a TS with a large outfeed table, jointer, SCMS, planer, two drum sanders, huge router table, band saw, edge sander, spindle sander, drill press, small lathe, 3 workbenches/tables (2 60"x30", 1 48"x30"), and I just added a shaper this year.  Had to move one of the drum sanders on top of the planer to get it in there, but it's in there. The most I have to do to use any of them is roll it a foot or two.  Did I mention the scroll saw that lives in the TS outfeed table? 

What I don't have is a big bank of cabinets taking up a whole wall of my shop like many people do.  I use the space under the tools and workbenches.

I have a small basement shop I'm just in the process of setting up. It's about 250 Sq ft. I currently don't own a lot of large power tools yet but have used grizzly's design tool to help get started. Also got some great ideas from the down to earth woodworker on his shop tour & 5 strategies for the woodshop. I will be using a storage area as alternative space for my DC, air compressor and some items only used on occasion. I do have a double door entry to the outside so projects can flow easy. Good luck with the clean slate.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Basements do a nice job of moderating temperature so even without heat or cooling they are never unworkable.   But people with large shops waste huge amounts of space.  My basement shop is 300 sq ft and I have a TS with a large outfeed table, jointer, SCMS, planer, two drum sanders, huge router table, band saw, edge sander, spindle sander, drill press, small lathe, 3 workbenches/tables (2 60"x30", 1 48"x30"), and I just added a shaper this year.  Had to move one of the drum sanders on top of the planer to get it in there, but it's in there. The most I have to do to use any of them is roll it a foot or two.  Did I mention the scroll saw that lives in the TS outfeed table? 

What I don't have is a big bank of cabinets taking up a whole wall of my shop like many people do.  I use the space under the tools and workbenches.

Would love to see a shop tour!

Shop and fabricate in the basement, assembly and finishing in the garage? You would have to haul the materials back-and-forth but you wouldn't have to haul a finished piece up-and-down .

I do like this idea, but some of the drawbacks I have discovered for the basement shop will probably not surprise you.

My two largest concerns are noise and dust. No matter what kind of DC and scrubber I get, there will be dust floating around. It will find it's way through the house I'm sure.

Noise is another challenge, even with sound proofing techniques.

There are, of course, other obvious detractors as well. The stairs, single door entry, limited ceiling height.

To be fair, I have come up with some positives for the basement as well: lots of space, already heated and cooled by the central system, lots of natural light, no sub panel required ( in view of the main panel), no neighbours to stop by and pull me off task.

I think I will at least try the single stall shop to see if I can fit. I don't need a ton of tooling either - just the standard items need to be accessible right away (TS, jointer, planer, router table, workbench, hand tools rack). The "odd balls" can go into a shelving unit or be stored under other tools ( spindle sander, jigsaw, extra router, HVLP, etc). The domino has saved me some space (no mortise machine), and maybe I can come up with some other clever ideas. I know for sure that nothing un-related to woodworking will get in there - not even my wife's broom!

If the basement has windows couldn't you add one of those insulated bulkhead slanted basement doors? I have no idea if they use those in the great frozen north, but I saw them in Connecticut last winter.

Sound insulation or just don't work too late..

Separating the shop from finishing is really a good idea if you can work it out somehow. Assembly won't hurt the finish area.

• Like 1

Beware of dust buildup in a basement having any heating appliance that uses flame - furnace, water heater, etc.

If your bsement has any window or outside opening, could you duct the dust collection to a filter on the outside?

Lots of windows, so no issue there. Would just need to rig up something to extract it all to the opening.

Lots if flame too. Natural gas furnace and tankless hwh. So lots of places for dust to get into. I could frame out a furnace room and keep a lot of the dusties out.

If the basement has windows couldn't you add one of those insulated bulkhead slanted basement doors? I have no idea if they use those in the great frozen north, but I saw them in Connecticut last winter.

Sound insulation or just don't work too late..

Separating the shop from finishing is really a good idea if you can work it out somehow. Assembly won't hurt the finish area.

Interesting idea with the bulkhead door - have never seen one here in the north. Don't think it's a viable option though, but I appreciate the suggestion!

==>add one of those insulated bulkhead slanted basement doors? I have no idea if they use those in the great frozen north, but I saw them in Connecticut last winter.

Very popular in New England. Parents have one on their CT home...

We have a "doghouse" style entry to the basement, 36" door going to a few less steps than going through the house.  I could get full sheets of plywood through it if I had to but I usually have it cut at the yard or do it in the driveway.  I'd sell my soul for a walk out though :)  Okay I lied, it's closer to 325 sqft than 300.  12.5'x25' with a bump out in one corner.

Getting the jointer next to the TS like this was one of the biggest rearrangements that helped fit everything in.  I can edge joint about a 5' board without issue if I get the fence just right so the end of the board fits to the right of the lathe.  Anything longer than that is iffy on a short bed 6" jointer anyway.  Scroll saw is in the outfeed table, the top of which is hinged to make getting it out easier.

post-13721-0-80796600-1402018342_thumb.j

The table in the corner is in theory where projects can be put if I need to get them out of the way.  In practice it is a crap collection area.  At least it keeps the mess contained in one area.  Finishing stuff is in the cabinet and shelf over the router table.  The planer/drum sander are on fixed casters that allow that cabinet (has sandpaper and junk drawer) to just roll out from the wall in a straight line.  The drum sander is a little high up there but it's not too bad.  The rolling cart between the planer and router table I have come close to getting rid of several times.  Tends to collect crap more than be useful.

post-13721-0-88685200-1402018343_thumb.j

The spindle sander is on a platform that lifts off to give access to the dovetail jig.  I used to have all my portable tools (drills, sanders, etc) in the cabinet beneath but those have moved into the new workbench.  Not sure what I'll do there yet.  Under the drill press is a 1" belt sander.  Edge sander tucked into the bay window area and dust collection in the bump out in the adjacent wall.  The compressor is tucked under the dust collector and the vacuum and cyclone are in there too.

post-13721-0-02315500-1402018345_thumb.j

Haven't got around to hooking up the shaper yet.  Stupid dust port in the fence goes out horizontally instead of vertically so I need to make something for it.  That's where the other drum sander used to be which wasn't a good spot for it at all.  Shop built drum sander #2 is mostly used on small parts so doesn't need much outfeed room.  The band saw can come out a bit and turn at an angle and get a reasonable length resaw. 

post-13721-0-44056000-1402018346_thumb.j

Hand tool cabinet.  Hang stuff on both sides of the doors = triple the wall space.  Clamps, can you tell which ones don't get used?  CNC is on the other side of this wall.  The other side of the basement is shared space and has all my shipping supplies and storage for finished stuff.

post-13721-0-68926000-1402018347_thumb.j

SCMS built into the wall under the stairs.  Whiteboard on top gets used all the time.

post-13721-0-97248000-1402018348_thumb.j

The melamine table is on casters and takes the brunt of the glue-ups.  I'm really not using the space under it very well right now.

post-13721-0-20906700-1402018350_thumb.j

The new workbench swallowed all my tools and fasteners and is still hungry.

post-13721-0-53172400-1402018351_thumb.j

I'm still wasting a lot of space in there.  And I think I've got more lumber in the racks than Marc does in his giant shop.  I've been shooting videos now and I know what a PITA it is to get the damn tripod where you need it when stuff is crammed in like my shop so I don't blame him one bit.  It's a lot easier to clean when you've got more space too.

• Like 2

==>Would love to see a shop tour!

Yea... Same here... How much of that kit is bungeed to the ceiling? :)

Something about 10lbs of sh*t and 5lb bags comes to mind... :)

Oh yeah, and I've got the miter sled and air filter and some clamps on the ceiling.  Thanks for reminding me!  ;)