could you live without a CMS or MS?

rodger.

Miter saws in the shop - necessary?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Could you live without a MS in your shop?

• No way -I use it all the time
    • Only if I really had to give it up
    • I only occassionally use it, so maybe
    • Yes, I could comfortably give it up for space
    • I don't use one in my shop at all
    • I could live with it if i had a better one (and crab legs)

Shop plans are still in work for my new, far smaller shop.  I have everything in there that i really need, and space is pretty tight.  I dont really have room for a MS, or my existing SCMS.  Could you live without one in your shop?

I mostly use it for rough cuts, which could easily be accomplished with a quality hand saw.  I do use it for trim work and moldings however, so that my be a loss for me.

Opinions?

I suppose I'm overly sentimental, but my MS is my 'first' tool purchased, so I'll never get rid of it, other than to whichever of my boys express an interest in my tools when I finally have to hang up the tools. I made my own rough & ready version of the 'ultimate tool stand' originally published in American Woodworker... it stores easily there, along with my lunchbox planer. Funny thing, I just set it up for breaking down some rough lumber for my next wave of cutting boards. Today is one of those rare days when it will get a work-out. It's 15 years old, still has the original blade (it has spent several years in storage of one sort or another) it isn't fancy, but it works for me. 

I voted 'I only use it occasionally...' since I do, but it is a very useful part of my tool arsenal. 

I could live without crab legs too, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to.

You should add the option, "I couldn't live without it if I had a better one."  I think a lot of guys give up on their SCMS because it's not good enough for furniture making.  When you get a high-end unit, it changes the equation.  I didn't use my Dewalt much...but now that I have a Kapex, I use it on every project.

• Like 1

I use it for site work. I don't plan on using a hand saw to crown some cabinets. I won't give it up. That said, it is not permanently set up where I do the bulk of my work.

yes, good point.  I could put it in storage until i have a home reno to do.  i am more concerned about keeping it's large footprint in a small shop for furniture making.

Store tools like that in the basement, bring em out as needed.

yes, certainly possibile.  The thing is really  heavy though.  Once its in the basement, it will life its life there unless there is a large home reno to do (like crown, or a deck, etc).  I cant see myself breaking my back to get that monster up and down the stairs for a few cuts.

I could live without crab legs too, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to.

You should add the option, "I couldn't live without it if I had a better one."  I think a lot of guys give up on their SCMS because it's not good enough for furniture making.  When you get a high-end unit, it changes the equation.  I didn't use my Dewalt much...but now that I have a Kapex, I use it on every project.

how large is the Kapex footprint?  I really like mt bosch, but its foorprint is big.

Small.  The rails are forward so you don't need much space behind it.  And it's a 10" saw but it has a capacity closer to a 12".  Love that thing.

Can you do me a favour if you get a second? Can you measure the max point from the knob in front to a fully completed cut? I am looking for the absolute max length it requires, if I were to put it up against a wall (and still be able to make a full slide cut).

28" from back to front.  Add 3" for the bed-locking mechanism if you count that part.  It hangs off the front of my cabinet but it doesn't get in my way.  And add a few inches in the back for a full miter cut.  I guess mine is about 4-5" away from the wall.

• Like 1

I don't have one and don't need one - yet (never say never) as I cross cut with the cross cut sled on my TS.

Thanks for the suggestion.

what about bevel, miters, compound miters?  do you normaly use your TS for these cuts as well?  I have a dedicated mitre sled, which i use all the time for mitered frames.  Its not much good for really long stock.  I dont really like to cut bevels on the TS in the ends of workpieces, and normally do so on the SCMS.

• Like 1

I have a craftsman 10" CMS that I bought nearly 10 years ago.  I used it a lot when I before I started having a high deman on tight tolerances.  My CMS simply has too much play for it to be viable for use in my shop.  That and it can only cut a 5.5" wide board, it has pretty much found itself in a corner in my garage.  I keep it around in case I need to do rough work with 2x4's, but pretty much all my cross cut and miter cuts are done on my table saw.  I have a couple good miter gauges, including an Incra, and a nice cross cut sled.

Thanks for the suggestion.

what about bevel, miters, compound miters?  do you normaly use your TS for these cuts as well?  I have a dedicated mitre sled, which i use all the time for mitered frames.  Its not much good for really long stock.  I dont really like to cut bevels on the TS in the ends of workpieces, and normally do so on the SCMS.

Yes bevels and compound bevels are on the TS too. My work doesn't generally use many bevels but when they do the mitre gauage and the tilt of the saw is sufficient. I know what you mean about longer stock but I've personally not run into that problem yet.

Mine's not a slider but it is 10" compound.  Ditto on the site work comment.  Mine is at the barn where I end up using a lot of scrap/used lumber as the owner is kind of cheap about buying new stuff and gets mad when I do.  The saw has been there for about 1.5 years along with a cheap jobsite table saw and I don't really miss it.

As to my previous post, my current CMS just isn't up to the task of what I need for woodworking.  Would it be nice to have a better one that would be reliable? Absolutely!  Right now, a good SCMS starts at around $600 all the way up to $1200.  With my limitted tool budget, I can think of several other ways I can spend that money right now. 

Looking at the 12" Dewalt CMS, it is $200.  With its 8" capacity, it would handle most of my cross cut needs.  I could possibly justify that at some point, but honestly, I am happy with my table saw setup for my precision work.  I would rather put that $200 towards wood.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have one and don't need one - yet (never say never) as I cross cut with the cross cut sled on my TS.

If you get a moment, could you post a few pics of your crosscut saw sled?  I have been thinking about building a new, larger, sled.  I need a sled with larger crosscut capacity.