Porch Swing

danbell78

First project from the new shop, in the new house completed! 

Made from cedar, finished with Cabott Clear Wood Protection. 

I am pretty happy with the result, and even happier to have the shop back up and running. 

Next project - a real workbench! 

post-6111-0-29427800-1402419928_thumb.jppost-6111-0-09101500-1402419954_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wanted to add an idea on cup-holders for porch swings...

We've got a porch swing made sometime in the '20s -- believe 1926. The craftsman used a flair-style arm rest common to the Adirondack Chairs and Morris Chairs of the same period. The craftsman took advantage of the wide arm rest and inset cup holders. To support the cups, he/she used a wicker-style holder attached to the under side of the arm rest... Has worked well for almost a hundred years...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but just like coffee, beer is only rented. And you will find as you age the rental period shortens and the storage space shrinks.

if the space shrinks anymore I'm going to have a bathroom with a woodshop in it!

Nice porch swing!

==>bathroom with a woodshop in it!

Couple of years ago, there was an article in the Lifestyles section of the NYT covering woodworking in studio apartments... Some of those folks had really inovative space-saving ideas... I'll see if I can find a link and post...

I have a friend who bought some ground to build a new house then he got divorced. :( 

So, being a hot-rodder, he built a shop for his cars. ;) 

It was about 30' x 90' long then he divided off about 30' on one end and built his new home inside the shop. :P  

A true dream come true!  HE LITERATELY LIVES IN HIS SHOP! :D  

Rog

A friend of the family built a 4 bay garage for his commercial construction company with a full kitchen and bath at one end plus 3 "offices" . Moved his family in and built his house whenever his crew wasn't busy on job sites . 2 years later he moved into his new home .