Beetlekill pine

Punkywood

I was informed of this pandemic and shown some pictures of what these beetle are doing to pine. It gives parts of the wood a blue tint! Run a google search on beetlekill pine and look at some of the photos there. Some of them are truly beautiful.

I was wondering if anyone knew any info on this wood? Is it commercially available, and if so, for a Southern California resident? Price? Dealers? Anything!

the pine market has been flooded with this wood because of the increase in temperature so the beetle has been spreading farther each year and it does not die as quickly.  so the beetle is killing pine forest faster then they can clear the logs.  I have found lots of that lumber at menards you will probably have to pick through the wood to find the better coloring but it is there.  ill put a picture of  a box that I made of that wood a couple years ago. but its got to wait till I get home from work.

• 2 weeks later...

Pine doesn't have to be killed by bugs to have the blue stain.  When a log is cut, if it lays on the ground too long, it will also pick up the blue stain.  My family has raised pine trees for several generations.  We've fought Pine Beetles for as long as I can remember.