World Cup starts today

Bobby Slack

*yawn*

Sorry Graham but it just doesn't do it for me.  Now, if they started calling fouls or penalties or took some other action for the drama and "diving" that goes on, it might be more fun to watch.  But I think they are some of the biggest crybabies (only outdone by most of the so-called "stars" in the NBA).

I do appreciate the rabid enthusiasm of all the fans though.  If you're going to have fans, those are the people you want.

"yawn" :), I can sympathyse, it is very over hyped. In addition it's a sport that has found it tough to break through in the US. Perhaps like most sports is 95% anticipation and waiting for 5% genius.

I must confess Bobby I found the opening ceremony poor and the standard of the officials within the first game poor, If I were Croatian I would feel short changed. The social unrest the world cup has caused is also a concern, the UK comentary team had stones/projectiles of some kind thrown at there studio breaking the glass. It is far from what I had hoped, Germany > South Africa and just about any other recent WC have been excellent. I hope it improves on many levels.  

I will say i went to a professional soccer game once, and it was very exciting.  in person.  Don't know that I'd watch the whole thing on tv, but then again I also don't like sitting through baseball games or NFL games.  

I didn't hear about the openening ceremony, nor about the officiating - but it (poor officiating) seems to be rampant in every sport.  

I don't watch professional sports that much. My relationship with the WC is based on tradition. I grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina and is impossible not to be a part of this event.

What you say about the comentators is absolutely true, so I turn off the TV sound and log on the Argentinean radio online. In LA people used to do that watching the Lakers and putting on Chick on the radio.

The game that will be very interesting is going to be Chile Vs. Spain ... Spain must win this game or they are out ... and they are last WC champions. All this hipe about Spain ...

My prediction #1 Brazil - #2 Argentina.

Well last night was the 5%, Spain vs Netherlands. Very entertaining!

Graham I went yesterday to an English bar in Redondo Beach wearing my colours (in English :) ) and the Italians always play ugly (like Argentina) huge defense, they bore you to death and ... boom .. goooooool

Of course today I had a good time watching Argentina win Vs Bosnia. A team we should beat on paper but all the players for Bosnia play for Manchester United or German League, Italy, etc. Tough team.

Own goals ... as a tennis player once in a while we hit a winner of the frame of the racquet and we take it. Stuff happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The US team played great. The team beat everybody who were beatable and lost to two amazing teams.

Now ... Vamos Argentina ... even though it is hard to cheer against Brazil since they spent 15 billion in stadiums and other stuff to host the cup.

Yesterday watching Argentina - Belgium was like having a baby. No easy matches for anybody so far.