James-inspired Dutch Chest with a Llama

Tony Wilkins

Taking a break for a moment but sawed to rough length (left myself about an inch on each board).  Found that a deep line helped me follow.  Biggest thing that helped me was the v-nick against the knife-wall at the entrance to the cross cut.  It helped me start, start straight, and get the cut close to what I need it to be.

14548161683_f37db5a58f_s.jpgDSCF1824 by Texchappy, on Flickr

The Sellers' double knife wall:

14341587277_27cf5e471c_s.jpgDSCF1829 by Texchappy, on Flickr

The Wearing-esque nick in the corner:

14524642781_0bbdbcdf4e_s.jpgDSCF1830 by Texchappy, on Flickr

Worked a little more and got both sides sawed out.

14525256041_0bba35a7e4_s.jpgIMG_1854 by Texchappy, on Flickr

The nick in the corner is helping get my saw started.  Funny thing is that my biggest saw (Disston D8) is the easiest to start (and to use).

Didn't do to bad off the saw on the angles:

14548770833_67d4655b01_s.jpgIMG_1855 by Texchappy, on Flickr

• Like 1

did the work bench ever get started?

I started mine last November or so. The truth is that being so darn cold and making reindeer during my spare time I had no time to finish the bench. I built the carcass, installed the leg vise and the top. So it is a functional and very capable bench. But it's not painted, tail vise isn't installed and has no drawers. Which is why I get razzed about it every time I make something. It's all in good fun, and is more of a running joke. I don't mind. :) I'll actually finish it eventually :)

Here's to bench in it's current state.

uqe2abun.jpg

Well, I'll just say this - sitting barefoot on the toilet in the middle of the night as a medium size scorpion saunters by isn't fun.  And now I have the image of my wife on the bed in her nighty wearing her cowboy boots and holding a yardstick.  In the end I got to some shoes, stepped on the critter, and used my grabbers to get him to the toilet to flush him down.

Fortunately, apparently they are rare in this part of the country.

Mel - looks way better than the banquet table that serves as my workbench.  If you did not tell me what was missing, I would not know.  Those other guys are just jealous :)

Yeah, reminds me I need to start thinking deciding on how to do my bench.  I started out thinking BC roubo but now I'm leaning heavily toward a construction lumber Nicholson.

• Like 1

Very in favour of it ever since I saw Kevin McCloud make some from rabbit skins and pee  :wacko:  He then tested it and it was able to hold the weight of 2 men so that got my seal of approval.

I also like the idea of going out and catching dinner then using the leftover bits for some woodwork :D However this seems like it may be an opportunity to help boost the global clamp sales market.

Got a 24" Jorgy CM clamp and one of their i-beam clamps to try.  I had ordered another CM clamp but haven't used it yet; 48" was just a bit more than 24" - more for the money right.  D'oh the things massive.

Got a face side on one of the side pieces done.  I just couldn't decide what plane to use on it - started out with the #7 but it was a little hard for me to push today (especially on a wide surface), tried my #62 and got most of it done, finally got out the #4 and gave it a go to finish it up.  If I use the #7 much on surfaces I'm either going to need a longer bench or at the very least a less cluttered bench.