Novelty box with spiral inlay and curved drawers

krtwood

Thanks guys!

Nice wish I had some copper curls like that the copper or aluminum would look cool.

Those curly shavings that come off a metal lathe might work.  I was thinking maybe colored paper or poster board might work too.  The tint in the epoxy really soaked into the wood which kind of hid the difference between the maple and cherry so it might just have to be clear epoxy, or coat the paper beforehand.

You could put a layer of black epoxy in the bottom, then add the shavings and top it off with clear epoxy. A few layers of masking tape around the inlay pocket would act as a tiny dam and make sure the epoxy was void free and above the surface .

Very original design! The magnets are a nice touch.

You could put a layer of black epoxy in the bottom, then add the shavings and top it off with clear epoxy. A few layers of masking tape around the inlay pocket would act as a tiny dam and make sure the epoxy was void free and above the surface .

That might work.  I think it's easier to put the shavings in first before dealing with the epoxy but it'd be worth it to get other effects.

i do alot of stone inlay and to make the stone stand out a bit i paint the bottom of the depression first i bet if you did that you could hide any defects or make it stand out better.   rather then use black epoxy on the bottom just paint it first with a sealing paint.  

i think that no matter what you use to coat the paper the paper will soak up the epoxy.  but that could work for you if you found a paper that the dye washes off in the epoxy you could color your epoxy with the colors coming off of the paper so it could look like it s maybe tiedyed.  or add coloring agents right at the paper so that one spot is red and another is blue and another is green ect...

Kevin,

Beautiful project.  Your video is outstanding, too especially starting from the original layout and carrying us through the thought process and execution.  Well done.  Thank-you for sharing, lots of inspiration and ideas for us in this project.  I'm going to use your magnet trick on a bandsaw box I have in the works.to keep the drawers from sliding out.  I like Dan's idea of using copper or aluminum curls, too, even starting from actual wire.  I love your curved drawers. very elegant.

I love your box and especially the various ideas on construction and design.

I have been using the buried magnet idea on my boxes for some time but my "Block-O-Wood" boxes are not at all as ornate as yours.

One thing I will mention to anyone who might try using magnets in a similar manner, make SURE the magnets are orientated to ATTRACT and not REPEL each other when you install them! DAMHIK.  :lol:  :P

Rog

• Like 1

Interesting ideas, Duck!

Roger, I think I showed the stack of magnets stuck on the one already in place with the two pieces in the same orientation.  That's how I make sure they are going the right way.  I didn't learn that the hard way either :)

Well, as I said, my "Block-O-Wood" boxes are quite different than your box. They are made from a single block of wood and I install the magnets from the inside of the box one at a time and don't have to plug the hole after the fact.  

Christmasboxes010_zpsba0514bb.jpg 

These boxes were made for my grandchildren for Christmas this year. They just love the "SNAP" when they slide the lid closed.  :D

I have made some nicer (more finished) boxes in the past and did experience an OOPS! on one of the earlier versions. <_<  But, it was not a big job correcting the problem, just embarrassing   at the time.  :P 

Rog 

Well, as I said, my "Block-O-Wood" boxes are quite different than your box. They are made from a single block of wood and I install the magnets from the inside of the box one at a time and don't have to plug the hole after the fact.

Christmasboxes010_zpsba0514bb.jpg

These boxes were made for my grandchildren for Christmas this year. They just love the "SNAP" when they slide the lid closed. :D

I have made some nicer (more finished) boxes in the past and did experience an OOPS! on one of the earlier versions. <_< But, it was not a big job correcting the problem, just embarrassing at the time. :P

Rog

Roger, is that a sliding dovetail lid? I can't tell from the photo.

Nice job on the inlay, I would have to use the cnc for that :)  I've done magnets on lids before, but it was always just the magnets doing all the work as opposed to having it in addition to something mechanical.  I didn't think of the magnets until the end so I had to drill from the bottom.  It was also nice to not have to worry about alignment, just drill it with the drawer in the right place and it's got to work.  It would have just been an extra something to worry about as I was fitting the drawer to the box.

• 1 month later...