Thick walled pierced bowl

duckkisser

I have a bowl that I want to try and add too by piercing the wood to create a pattern. But everywhere I look people use thin walled vessels. Is it a bad idea to try this with a bowl that is about 1/4 thick. Has anyone done any projects that could give me some pointers?

thought to drill it out with my drill and drill bits but haven't decided what i am going to do.  i might instead carve out each section that i drew out and instead do a inlay across the entire bowl.  or perhaps ill just inlay in a few butterflies haven't made up my mind. 

You can do it with a thicker bowl, it just might feel clunky. The goal of many pierced vessels is to create a lace-like feel.

Now, with that said, many sculptural artists start with a thicker wall so they can carve away. Look at the work of William Hunter. You have to start with a thick wall to pull that off.

So, ultimately, it just depends on what your final product is and what your design calls for.

Post pics.