AAW Symposium 2014 Phoenix

wooddok

My neighbor and I went Friday to the symposium and Wow! Only day either of us could go and It was a great experience. We went to 3 different demos #1 was J.Paul Fennell on Hollow forms and he is amazing, makes his own tools and had a ton of tricks. Talking to him and others afterwad was a traet. Then #2 was Rudy Lopez on Winged bowls and he wass just as amazing. Lots of gereat little tips and tricks to do one of these. #3 was Andy Cloe from Hawaii. His was on Natural edged nested bowls and he used the McNaughton system. He did a piece of hawaiian Milo wood and it was the most beautiful reddish with almost maple and walnut colors in it. He passed around the pieces and they smelled like Dill Pickles. :lol:  He had a great tip on natura edge bowls I hadn`t seen, he put very thin CA glue all over the bark as well as on the edges. Keeps all the bark n place! BTW J. Paul Fennell did exactly the same thing on his hollow form, however he used medium CA to keep the form from twisting and it makes the outside hard enough you can make it Really thin as in 1/8" thin on his. :o  Great tip!

We had a superb time talking to all the fellow turners and seeing all the displays as well as spending too much money on tools. :rolleyes: