Cherry Blanket Chest

JoshC1501

All these various chests inspired me to build my own. Thanks guys.

This is my starting point and we will see how it evolves.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/blanket-chest-by-hand.aspx

Started by milling a couple boards from my stash of cherry.

Edge cleanup with the LN LA Jack

a5ava7ug.jpg

Either the front or back panel glued up and in clamps. Not sure which it is yet....

ede6u7a9.jpg

Clamps off and squeeze out removed.

gyqadeta.jpg

Hope to get another panel or two glued up tomorrow.

My joiner does not like this cherry. It has some figure to it and it tears out like crazy. My planer is cleaning it up nicely though.

3y8aryby.jpg

Got the first panel smoothed out. Cleaned up the glue lines.

9aheru5u.jpg

The 3 other panels are glued up as well.

Not sure how I like my board alignment. I always second guess myself trying make them look good.

I have few boards partially milled for the top but don't think I will use them. Going to wait and do the top last. Need to look through the pile and find a couple Great boards for the top.

Get these glue lines cleaned up and I will be ready for dovetails.

It was a bit of a process this week to get anything done. Ended up building a big cross cut sled, didn't have a way to accurately cross cut panels on the new table saw.

Got the all panels cut to size. Glue lines smoothed out.

Ready to lay out the joinery.

mumy5apa.jpg

Made some progress since the last post. Joinery all laid out.

Cutting pins with my improvised vise. My workbench stinks. Need to add that to the project list. It is heavy though so as long I can figure out a way to hold the work piece I am good.

tyqeteru.jpg

I cut all the pins, which was a nice arm workout.

First set cleaned up, 3 more to go.

busuhade.jpg

Just realized that I screwed up the layout of the pins on this corner, it was the only one I messed up.  Lesson....quadruple check your layout!  Not terribly upset, did this side first because the knot I was trying to incorporate was a little more gnarly than I thought.  

I will just make a new panel for this side.

Live and Learn!!!  On to the next mistake!

Wife and kids are gone today so getting some shop time.

Chopped the tails still have to fine tune. But can't do that until I get the mitered corners done.

jyty5a7y.jpg

A few pics of my progress.

y3avypan.jpg

e9u7ymud.jpg

yje5uzu7.jpg

Here is the test joint I made to figure out how to cut these miters. One side can easily be cut on the table saw. The other is a little more tricky.

Still not confident how these are going turn out. I hate miters!

yvu2y7ej.jpg

Alright think I am done for the day. Got a lot done but I am tired. Got the bottom laid out and cut. 1/2" material I resawed on my bandsaw. Think I have the tongue and groove and shiplapped joinery figured out.

I used leftover off cuts for the bottom. It all matched pretty well except that far board. It looks worse in the picture than it really is. It has some crazy grain. Cant see using more material for part that will never been seen.

jeqepy9e.jpg

Holding off cutting those miters until I think about it some more.

I would like some opinions on the top. Not thrilled with the look of the cleats but need something to help hold it flat. Maybe I just don't want to cut that dovetail socket! I could do breadboard ends, not sure how that would look? Thoughts?

Planning to put some nice strap hinges on it!

So if I go with breadboard ends here is what I have on hand. I could make them out of Cherry, Mahogany, or Walnut. Leaning towards the walnut but once the cherry ages it might look good with the dark brown/red mahogany.

Edited by JoshC1501