Cherry Blanket Chest

JoshC1501

I use packing-tape on my cauls, but use WaxiLit as a releasing agent for specific projects*. I've been tempted to use WaxiLit for my cauls as well... Anyone else go that route?

Just completed a vanity inset sink -- used epoxy to get that 'perfect' form fit for the sink -- worked quite well...

• 3 weeks later...

After a long work week in Boston and Philly got a little shop time in today.

Just 1 corner left on the casework. No pictures. Did this last weekend before I left.

Worked on the lid today. Got it cut down to size.

be5ajete.jpg

Still trying to decide between cleats or breadboard ends. Here are breadboard ends I made today. Made them with rabbet so they tuck under the lid. Not sure that's right but I liked the look.

amapebu7.jpg

Here are the strap hinges I bought from Lee Valley.

ny3udysa.jpg

Needed a easier project to break this one up and needed some new shelves for my remodeled basement, so I have been working on these simple shelves. Have some nice shelf hardware coming. (Love nice hardware).

2 coats of BLO and 2-3 sunny days and this result from my cherry stash... Love the dark red color, think this blanket chest is going to look nice. Doesn't even look like the same wood.

u5ujy4e2.jpg

e6avery7.jpg

Been working on finishing the dovetails and miters this morning.

Got the case assembled. Still needs a bit of fine tuning but getting close.

gu9yhyhu.jpg

8ejyme5u.jpg

Feels good to get that accomplished. Spent a lot of time hand cutting those dovetails.

The miters turned out ok. Glad I started with the back ones as they are not as good as the two fronts.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Finished this awhile ago but never got around to posting an update. Life's been crazy!

All in all happy how it came out. As my first real project with hand cut dovetails, was so worried about laying out correctly, didn't consider the sizing of Pins and Tails. The mitered corners at the bottom came out great in front and could be better in back.

The wood looks great though, the pictures don't do it justice.

79861e6aff2c412e0cc4c874789e21a6.jpg412f91145783a728317fb152c84ff9b1.jpg

2d819464865c74b09a29d23a0d3f8e89.jpg

• Like 1