Empty Coffee Table

RichardA

A buddy of mine asked me to make a coffee table to fit around a piece of glass that he would supply, when he comes to visit in July!   He's a hell of a great guy, but he's not the best with a measuring tape.  I talked with him 4 or 5 times before I began the project, and asked him to measure the glass each time.  3 out of the 5 times we spoke, the size was different. We finally had a neighbor of his come over and check the numbers. We finally settled on 33&2/8's by 18 & 10/16's.   Ya just gotta love old country boys!  This is what was built, Cherry and Walnut, 4 coats of Watco Danish rubbed out with 4/0 steel wool, and protected with Matte Poly.   I hope I got those 2/8's and 10/16's right!

post-15288-0-43109900-1402922531_thumb.j

post-15288-0-76738400-1402922557_thumb.j

post-15288-0-68709200-1402922584_thumb.j

Talking about measurements....

When I was working in a sheet metal shop, I ask the new guy to cut some angle iron  pieces for a frame, on the band saw. After 20 minutes or so, I noticed that he had cut only one piece so, I went over and ask what the problem was about cutting four pieces of angle iron. "Well" he said "I know what twenty three is and I know what twenty three and one half is but, I'm not sure about what all those little marks are."  :huh:

I told him that it was close to quitting time and go on home for the day. I did the cutting list in about five minutes.  :rolleyes:

Rog

PS. Yes, he was a High School graduate!