Turning project number 3

Ian Gagnon

So, I was talking recently about tackling a segmented bowl for the next thing I was going to turn, but honestly my work schedule has blown up and I just haven't had any time to really be in my shop for projects. I did have some time over the weekend, but I spent most of that rebuilding the cart for my planer and small jointer. I rearranged my shop a month ago to accommodate some upgrades and changes to my dust collection, and those two items needed to find a new home to fit into the updated layout.

With that said, I did find a few minutes to chuck up a blank and play around for a bit. I wouldn't really classify this as an actual project or finished item, but it is sanded to 250 and fully functional, so it's worth posting a pic!

If you've seen any of my other posts under turning, you know I'm new to it, and as such am learning as I'm going. I figured documenting my progress here where I am able to get feedback and pointers can't hurt!

It's another box. The top fits nice and snug. I wanted to try turning something with a more complex profile than the first box I made. All in all I think I learned quite a bit with this one. No finish on it... yet.

The taper under the sphere on top starts off a little too fat and the point could be cleaner, but other than that, not too shabby for a quick one.

photo-3-1.jpg

As always, I'd love to hear feedback!

Ian.

The only thing my eye catches is the sphere could be more circular. It is not easy to do! I had to make a series of spherical finials for a project and my acceptable rate was 1 out of 3. I drilled a hole in a piece of thin stock and then ripped it in half to make a template to eyeball from while turning. I had spare blanks and a high end client. For a one shot turning you got it close enough.

The overall shape is pleasing and you should be proud of it. Sign it and date it.

Half of turning is the sanding. I usualy turn to 600 then I grab a handful of wood chips turn up the speed on the lathe and rub the chips on the spinning wood. I end up with a piece that then looks like it already finished. By the time I rub a buffing finish on the wood I have a high end glass finish. The finish I use is made of equal parts boiled linseed oil, shellack, alcohol

You can start doing some simple segments that just have layers of wood glued together. For example if you cut your boxes wood on your miter saw glue some cherry wood on it then add more of your wood on the other side of the cherry. Then when you turn it and turn the cherry part round now you can have a two tone box with a cherry ball on the spike.

But this a good looking project keep it up and expect to buy more stuff just for turning and sharpening.

The only thing my eye catches is the sphere could be more circular. It is not easy to do! I had to make a series of spherical finials for a project and my acceptable rate was 1 out of 3. I drilled a hole in a piece of thin stock and then ripped it in half to make a template to eyeball from while turning. I had spare blanks and a high end client. For a one shot turning you got it close enough.

The overall shape is pleasing and you should be proud of it. Sign it and date it.

I started off with the 'ball' being more of a compresses/flatted ball look, then had a little oops with my edge taking a little too much material off while smoothing. The shoulders on the top and bottom were already pretty steep, so I just rounded down the shape and didn't do too much work on it. I agree tho'. It could definitely be rounder. I also really like your idea of a template. I recently came into possession on a big pile of 1/4" MDF scraps (12" x 12", etc.) that I'm planning to make some templates from for curves, etc. Figure that they'll work great for my router setup, but also for some turning projects as well!