Cherry Burl Bowl - In Progress

Ian Gagnon

Turning project #4!

So, still holding off on the segmented bowl.

I had this big chunk of cherry burl that I wanted to do something with first, and I haven't actually turned a bowl before, so I figured I'd try this before building a segmented one. However, as you'll see in a later picture, I only used half the burl. I'm planning to use the other half and do a  glue up with segmented sections to make a partially segment bowl. Should be cool.

This burl was given to me by the guy I bought the lathe from. It had been drying for a year or more and he always planned on turning it into a bowl, but just "never had the nerve to try turning it." I obviously knocked the corners off before slapping the faceplate on to make life easier/safer.

As always I love the input and feedback.

Mounted and ready to spin.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Wiped it down with some mineral spirits to see how the sanding was coming along...

photo1-2-1.jpg

Cut off the bowl section to be turned around onto the chuck. Here is the other half of the blank that I'm going to marry to a couple of segmented sections for my next bowl.

photo2-2.jpg

Chucked up and ready to spin.

photo3-2-1.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

Profile is starting to take shape...

photo2-3.jpg

Profile just about complete. Did a quick mineral spirit wipe to check progress to the top...

photo3-3.jpg

... and the bottom.

photo-3-2.jpg

Still more sanding to do and some touch-ups. Then to flip it around and turn the tenon off the bottom. More pictures to come in the next week as I have more free time to work on it.

The walls are pretty thin. Down to about 1/8".

Ian.

• Like 2

burls are always nice to work with.   but more importantly you have a realy nice profile for your bowl here is a hint for doing thin walled turnings shape the entire bowl so it is round turn the inside down to the shape you want then you thin it from the outside rather then from the inside. easer to catch the wood from the inside then it is from the outside.