Cross-cut Sled

Ronnie Boyett

I have made several in everything from melamine to MDF.  I prefer MDF.  Solid, flat, and heavy.  Also, the dust from it is delicious on a fresh salad.   ;)

As far as thickness, it depends.  I have a small sled used for tenon work that's 1/2" thick, but my main sled is a 3/4" monster.

Just remember:  it's a jig.  Don't be one of those guys that spends all his woodworking time making jigs.  That is, unless you are one of those guys that likes spending all his woodworking time making jigs.  :D

miw!

I think that both plywood and mdf will work fine since they're dimensionally stable.  My advice is to put some consideration into the size of the sled and where you're going to store it.  While larger sleds will accommodate a wider range of cuts, it comes with some trade-offs.  Large ones will be heavier, more cumbersome to move around, and more difficult to store.  Whether you use mdf of plywood, if you craft a very large sled and end up having to store it by leaning it against a wall then it is more likely to end up warping.

For me it depends on the sled...

I build versions that expect to get heavy use from 1/2 or 3/4 Baltic birch, and eventually add a 1/4" MDF liner to the floor and rear fence as the kerf wears.

I often build quickie sleds for specific uses, like making bandings or mitering boxes, which are designed to mate with a specific blade for a specific operation.  These get built with whatever is handy and stable, often 1/4 or 1/2 MDF.

My main criteria is the material just needs to be stable and not slippery where the work will touch it.  The slippery part often makes melamine or prefinished ply lesser choices, as the work doesn't stay where you hold it without stop blocks.  I like traction inside the sled...