Vintage Handsaws

neoOberon

People who are into handsaws...

Is there a vintage saw market, like there's a vintage plane market? Or is it much smaller seeing how handsaws were probably less prevalent. 

Do people recommend buying used? Or are the prices at a point where it's almost better to buy new?

What are some good vintage saw brands?

Sorry for the list...but saws is the next section of tools I want to conquer. Any sites about handsaws would be welcome.

You beat me to it hightron :)

I've managed to get myself some nice rip saws so far for a total of £20. They all had rust and a little pitting but they cut reasonably even without the sharpening they need (the first ones are going off next week).

I got a pair of Disston D8's (cross and thumb-hole rip) on the big auction site that work wonderfully.  I'm not sure how many stinkers there are out there in the wild but it is certainly possible to get great performing saws right out of the mail.  Of course, I had help from someone on LJ to guide me to the ones I bought.

The thread at lumber jocks is nice (scrolled through 3 or 4 pages), but it seems more of a "look what I have" than a informative piece.

I found a few online sources that others might find useful...

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/understanding_western_backsaws

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/premium-backsaws-a-history-lesson

http://www.vintagesaws.com/

On the reference side:

Saw Medallion Reference Guide

Checklist of British Saw Makers

backsaw.net

Brian's Basement

History of Woodworking Tools in UK

On the restoration/maintenance side:

Handsaw Blade Cleaning by Bob Sturgeon

Smalser on Handsaws

Restore a Vintage Handsaw for Everyday Use

A lot of these links will require a bit of digging to get the info but there is lots of it out there.

People who are into handsaws...

Is there a vintage saw market, like there's a vintage plane market? Or is it much smaller seeing how handsaws were probably less prevalent. 

Do people recommend buying used? Or are the prices at a point where it's almost better to buy new?

What are some good vintage saw brands?

Sorry for the list...but saws is the next section of tools I want to conquer. Any sites about handsaws would be welcome.

Two problems with vintage saws: 1) pitting is the great equalizer and they almost all have some.  2) sellers on auction sites have a vastly different views on what is 'straight' and what is not.

People will tell you that a little pitting does not matter (they tend to be people who sell old saws or collect them) and that pin-straightness does not matter.  Well, both of these DO MATTER.  If you really intend to do a lot of handsawing, not just paying lip service to the concept, then you need straight saws and you need saws that don't have pitted steel.  If you use handsaws day in and day out they should be in top condition in all respects.  Period.  That those old saws were so much better that you can tolerate pitting and less than straight plate is a canard.   

Be prepared to pay beaucoup dollars for a vintage saw in pristine condition.  With all the boutique sawmakers around I strongly suggest just getting a couple of good, new saws.

I have no bandsaw.  I have no tablesaw.  All the lumber I saw is done by hand.  It's a helluva lot of work best not undertaken with a saw compromised in any way.  I've done it.  It's not fun.  You think it's no big deal and then a saw in top shape comes your way and you realize just how bad the old one really was - the one with just a 'little' pitting and a 'slight' wave in the plate.

Don't fall for it.

Or is it much smaller seeing how handsaws were probably less prevalent. 

I would be shocked if this was true, who owns a plane before they own a saw?  I would imagine there were scads of saws for every plane, but would think they'd be much more easily damaged and more likely to be turned into scrapers and so on. 

• 3 months later...

First, unless you know the online seller, buying saws on eBay is a total crapshoot. They also tend to be a tad overpriced. Condition is important but some pitting, so long as it's not near the tooth line is acceptable for a user saw. Straight, with no kinks, and no missing teeth are the important things, handle not so much as you can repair it or make a new one. I hunt rust and regularly buy saws but for every 50 I look at maybe I'll buy one. You also have to learn the skill of re-forming the teeth, then sharpening. It's not difficult, if I can learn how, anyone with some patience and practice can do so.

Two problems with vintage saws: 1) pitting is the great equalizer and they almost all have some. 2) sellers on auction sites have a vastly different views on what is 'straight' and what is not.

People will tell you that a little pitting does not matter (they tend to be people who sell old saws or collect them) and that pin-straightness does not matter. Well, both of these DO MATTER. If you really intend to do a lot of handsawing, not just paying lip service to the concept, then you need straight saws and you need saws that don't have pitted steel. If you use handsaws day in and day out they should be in top condition in all respects. Period. That those old saws were so much better that you can tolerate pitting and less than straight plate is a canard.

Be prepared to pay beaucoup dollars for a vintage saw in pristine condition. With all the boutique sawmakers around I strongly suggest just getting a couple of good, new saws.

I have no bandsaw. I have no tablesaw. All the lumber I saw is done by hand. It's a helluva lot of work best not undertaken with a saw compromised in any way. I've done it. It's not fun. You think it's no big deal and then a saw in top shape comes your way and you realize just how bad the old one really was - the one with just a 'little' pitting and a 'slight' wave in the plate.

Don't fall for it.

Charles

I am curious - why do you do all this by hand? You are not getting younger. You do this for a living. You are not making reproductions. Why not break the pieces down with a bandsaw?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, the response you are searching for can be found here. I was 17 when I first saw this.

That may be the correct reason!  But , boy is that sound hard on my ears!  Being old school [and, old as well] something with just a more calming tone and the identical message would better suit my nerves!  Having just purchased 3 older handsaws and getting started on the reconditioning process, this thread came at a most fortuitous time for me.  I checked recently with Rockler for the future purchase of a saw set and locally I can get the files needed.  Till then, I'll still be using the power saws for most work, till I can claim, " I made them work the way they're supposed to"!