Croquet Set

Indy Cindy

Steve,

Yes, I used a fox wedge in the handle.  They had a threading contraption at the workshop but I made my handle at home so didn't have use of it.  I wanted to try out the wedge anyway.

For the balls we had choice of 2 or 3 woods.  I expect some people will personalize theirs with color or ridges or they will do the project at home with their own wood.  I burned onto mine a small maker's mark.  It will be fun to see what everyone choses to do.

Steve,

Making a  sphere was my first attraction to this project.  As with your experience I too had many rejects prior to this.  The method we used was to first make something closely resembling a sphere, then rotate it (using home made wood cup holders in both head and tail to hold it) and turn away the ghost images.  I am attaching a link with details.  I have made several spheres since the workshop and am very pleased with the results.

TurningSpheresTheEasyWay.pdf

During the period they lived in VT, my Dad and his wife belonged to a croquet league that played on the lawn of the home that had been the Governor's mansion.  Can't remember for sure - it was either that home or the one that Mary Todd Lincoln had lived in for some time.  Both are near Bennington.

I just looked up the standards for a croquet ball. 3 5/8 dia + or - 1/32 16 ounces weight + or - 1/4 ounce and it should rebound 35-45" when dropped from 60" high onto a very hard surface.

I would think ash, oak, hickory or maple might work. Seems most croquet balls are made of synthetic materials nowadays .

The old wooden balls had concentric grooves cut in them, new ones have a grid of grooves.

And none of this matters unless you are playing seriously by the official rules !

• Like 1

I just looked up the standards for a croquet ball. 3 5/8 dia + or - 1/32 16 ounces weight + or - 1/4 ounce and it should rebound 35-45" when dropped from 60" high onto a very hard surface.

I would think ash, oak, hickory or maple might work. Seems most croquet balls are made of synthetic materials nowadays .

The old wooden balls had concentric grooves cut in them, new ones have a grid of grooves.

And none of this matters unless you are playing seriously by the official rules !

Our only requirement is that they fit through the hoop :) although once I learned how to do it I am 4 for 4 at 3 5/8" diameter.  My spheres are all in the 10 ounce range.  I looked it up and noticed that 10 ounces is the backyard weight.  That must have come from common woods.  To get to 16 ounces for this size wood ball one would need a density of around 69 lb / cubic foot and use dense woods like cocobolo or coralwood or - hey hey - boxwood!  I wonder if the grooves are for control or if they were originally put in to tweak the weight of the sphere to the correct weight.

The page I read mentioned grip of mallet on the ball and how the balls interact with each other as the reasons for grooves/ texture on the regulation balls.

How well does your ball bounce?

They fail the bounce test.  :(  The cottonwood bounces maybe 4 inches, maple around 6 inches on my concrete garage floor.  I'm not going to drop the ash since it is now 'art'.  :)