End grain cutting board

wdwerker

I have made a few cutting boards recently for friends. Way to much time and effort involved to try to sell them , but I think friends are well worth making them something that should last a lifetime . My neighbor and buddy Dave is from New Orleans and frequently cooks a huge Cajun/Creole feast for quite a large crowd. He recently remodeled his kitchen and got a set of Henkel knives so I thought a large end grain cutting board was appropriate to allow him to show off his skills.

I started scouring through my scraps and off cuts . Found some walnut and maple 8/4 strips and glued up a long grain blank.

post-6363-0-10903300-1403359530_thumb.jp

It sat around for a few weeks and when I got back to it I played with some layout possibilities. If I ripped 13 strips they were just under 1 3/4" thick.

post-6363-0-58640400-1403359765_thumb.jp

Ripped and dry clamped a few different arrangements. Tried a checkerboard and staggered layout but I didn't like the results. The maple and walnut strips weren't the exact same width and that threw off the pattern. So I settled on a grain matched row. I carefully numbered the strips and just turned them 90'

post-6363-0-01800900-1403360162_thumb.jp

Glue up is never fun. Used TB3 for the longer open time and water resistance. Cauls lined with packing tape in a pin wheel arrangement initially got all 4 sides smooth and aligned. Then I shifted the side cauls to force the top flush. This is crucial to reduce the sanding needed to flatten the faces on the drum sander.

post-6363-0-85825800-1403360825_thumb.jp

After an hour or so on the drum sander, 80 grit ,150 grit, and 220 grit . Most of the time I only took off 1/128 at a time. Maple can load up the sandpaper and cause burns so I cleaned the abrasive frequently with a crepe rubber block. Then 150, 240, 320 grits with the orbital to erase the drum sanding parallel scratches.

post-6363-0-90109000-1403361218_thumb.jp

Eased all the corners with a 1/4" round over bit then sanded thru the grits again. Here is the board after the first coat of finish. I thinned out Watco's salad bowl and cutting board finish with mineral spirits so it would soak in faster and deeper. After a few coats of that Dave can maintain it with mineral oil.

post-6363-0-55732100-1403361574_thumb.jp

I figure it is good practice for a tumbling block board and maybe I will tackle a wavy board like yours TIDOS. I have some paduak , purpleheart and yellowheart that should make a nice combination .

That will look awesome!

Excellent work Steve.... I do a lot of cajun cooking to, and have several cutting boards that I made just for me.  I haven't thought about using off cut boards for friends and neighbors, But with another Christmas coming, I just might get a few made!  Thank's for the inspiration!

I'm assuming it is a vintage. It comes in a tall bottle, unlike the regular DJ anejo and is about $100 a bottle. Fortunately I have a very generous vendor that surprises me w/ a bottle about twice a year. Something you share w/ your special friends

He has to be making a fortune off of your account !

I get some good service from my suppliers, my Festool rep is meeting me in the morning with parts for my 7 year old ETS 150 and I called him after 2 pm today ! First time I have had to replace anything other than sanding pads on it ! I was wearing out Bosch sanders every couple of years!

Love the inverse stripes on that one board. And what a beautiful piece of walnut for the middle.

I've been doing the math, and it looks like, between cutting boards and little toyboxes, I'll need to start my Christmas present projects already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk