Dust collection auto switch

Dnorris1369

Hey guys looking some input on dust collection. I gotta get my dust collection under control lol. Does anyone have suggestions on those auto switches to plug tools in and vac comes automatically on. My table saw is 220 v. And everything else I have at this point is 110v. Router table,bandsaw,planer. The dust collector I have on a dedicated 110 circuit close to my table saw outlet. These seem like the cats meow but I don't know the first thing about them. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005855/18215/i-Socket-Autoswitch-Shop-Vacuum-Control.aspx

You have to have the vac plugged into it and also the tool you are using plugged into it.  It has a delay which is nice so you don't have a big draw all at once of the machine and vac coming on at the same time.  Mine worked for a while, then just quit.  I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you want more than one machine to control it which I don't think it can.

What works for me is I have an on/off paddle that I use when I am working on one end of my shop.  I just leave the shop vac on at the unit and turn it off using the paddle.  When I am at the other end I turn it on and off at the shop vac itself.

I have seen vacuum systems turned on and off by something like a tv remove.  That might work for you.  Of course you have to have the remote with you and might end up on a hunt looking for the remote if you set it down absently.

==>Does anyone have suggestions on those auto switches to plug tools in and vac comes automatically on. My table saw is 220 v.

Would help to know what tools you have and your DC setup... The answer may be a $39.95 switch or a $5K EcoGate setup... What are your expectations?

I have been working on my DC setup.  I have been working on getting as many tools as possible on my HF DC.  I currently have my table saw, jointer, and router table permanently setup with 4" runs.  I have one, and only one 2.5" line that I have setup to move between the OSS, DP, and other small tools at the bench.  The router table and 2.5" line were my most recent additions to the setup.  Before i had these the switch on the DC while inconvenient, was reachable.  With the two new lines, the switch was not reachable by them.  It was expensive, but I decided to put a remote switch on the DC.  This makes the DC much more usable.  Obviously the easier we make things like DC to use, the more likely we will always use them.

I have the Long Ranger remote system and it works well. Yes you have to turn it on every time you want the DC to run but I carry my remote in my apron pocket and it's not that big of deal. With all the different voltages of your tools I think that's the best way to go. You'll get used to it and it's not that bad. It's become automatic, I don't even think about, it just happens.IMO

• Like 1

I have the Long Ranger remote system and it works well. Yes you have to turn it on every time you want the DC to run but I carry my remote in my apron pocket and it's not that big of deal. With all the different voltages of your tools I think that's the best way to go. You'll get used to it and it's not that bad. It's become automatic, I don't even think about, it just happens.IMO

I do the same thing with Insteon parts.  since I use Insteon else where in my house ti was a no-brainer.

Want to raise one important point...

DC systems tend to use motors that don't react well to short-cycling... The purpose-made DC auto-sensing/switching setups sense the tool turning-on, then have a short dwell and turn-on the DC. The DC remains running for a minimum of 10minutes after the tool turns-off... The time is usually adjustable between 10mins and 30mins... But the minimum is almost always 10mins. I believe mine is set to 10mins... maybe 15... I forget... It's adjustable and would have to check. BTW: most home HVAC setups are the same -- they have timers to prevent short-cycling the compressor...

I'll just repeat this for everyone -- short-cycling the DC is usually detrimental to the motor... While you can get yourself a remote on/off switch, you may do more harm than good... YMMV...

Just like to add that chasing the blast gates around my shop is a lot bigger hassle than turning the DC on/off.

==>I will admit the blast gates get to be a PITA sometimes!

EcoGate will be happy to cure that for you --- for a just a few $$ :)

http://www.ecogate.com/downloads/Fine-Woodworking-article-about-the-ECOGATE-System.pdf

http://www.ecogate.com/home-commercial/

BTW, if you've got a variable CFM setup, you can have the EcoGate manage the DC based on which tools are turned-on and their airflow requirements. If you've got a commercial shop, the savings in electricity cost can pay for the setup in a few years...

==>I will admit the blast gates get to be a PITA sometimes!

EcoGate can cure that for you:

http://www.ecogate.com/downloads/Fine-Woodworking-article-about-the-ECOGATE-System.pdf

http://www.ecogate.com/home-commercial/

Thanks for that TripH..  Was aware of them and may go that way in the distant future but, there's some things in the shop I'd like to have first.

I bought this one since it has some positive features: DC on a separate circuit, delayed turn on, and a switch for off/on/autoOn.  It seems like it would work great for your situation since you could just flip the ON switch when you're using your table saw, then switch it back to Auto so it does its own magic when you move to your other tools.  I haven't tried it out yet, but it has very nice reviews on amazon. I had paid $62 shipped in April and it looks like it's down to only $54 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035YGLZG

41cWPh-SnCL.jpg

Is it really called LONG Ranger or did you mean LONE Ranger.  

If I handled that remote anything like i do my pencils then it will be misplaced 90% of the time :P

Apron...I love it-One of my better purchases.  On the DC switches, I don't doubt they work and are convenient to use; it's just an up front investment.  So far I'm satisfied just turning the DC on and off with the remote.

The reason, I went with the woodriver over the lone ranger was simply because the remote is more compact and has a clip on it.  That doesn't seem like much for an extra $20 (minus savings on shipping), but it is the point about the remote becoming hard to find like a pencil in the shop that made me go that route.  I have a hook that I keep the remote on when the shop isn't in use.  When I go in the first thing I do is clip it to a belt loop, and turn on the receiver.  When I get done for the day, I turn the receiver off (don't want the DC coming on at 3am!) and put the remote back on the hook.

Of course, it is just a matter of time before the remote goes through the laundry.  :)

The reason, I went with the woodriver over the lone ranger was simply because the remote is more compact and has a clip on it.  That doesn't seem like much for an extra $20 (minus savings on shipping), but it is the point about the remote becoming hard to find like a pencil in the shop that made me go that route.  I have a hook that I keep the remote on when the shop isn't in use.  When I go in the first thing I do is clip it to a belt loop, and turn on the receiver.  When I get done for the day, I turn the receiver off (don't want the DC coming on at 3am!) and put the remote back on the hook.

Of course, it is just a matter of time before the remote goes through the laundry.  :unsure:

MY LONE RANGER HAS A CLI I I I I P!!!! :unsure: I've brought the remote in the house with me a couple times to rest or get something to drink and then go back to the shop and the DC was running. Must have bumped it and your response just reminded me of that.  I'll probably just install a light switch in the DC line at the power box to make it a part of start up and power down at the end of the day.  Thanks.

MY LONE RANGER HAS A CLI I I I I P!!!! :unsure:

LOL, to be honest I looked at it briefly, but looking back on the description it does mention a belt clip, just didn't show it in the picture.  Oh well, I still like the compact size of the transmitter.  And I helped out the local economy a little bit by buying local.....  That's my story and I am sticking to it!  :)