99p bargain

DaveT

Looks like my hours on ebay were not entirely mis-spent. Just picked these up from about 20 miles away.

post-15398-0-94727800-1403642333_thumb.j

Neither the biggie or the 'coffin' have any marks that I've been able to see yet (haven't even wiped off the cobwebs) but the one on the right is a Ulmer Reform 252.

post-15398-0-44600100-1403642705_thumb.j

The sole of the Ulmer is stained with something

post-15398-0-00025900-1403642930_thumb.j

and all of the irons have an appreciable amount of rust on them - no photos yet as I haven't got them out of the bodies.

The coffin does have a crack in the side of the body so I'm not sure if that will be repairable or if I'll just cannibalize it.

post-15398-0-97855700-1403643433_thumb.j

I see a future filled with lots of cleaning and sharpening....

I love'em Dave... Don't you just love finding a whole bunch of clean up and repair work to keep you away from the honey do's?

I'm trying to find excuses not to do a job for my next door neighbour - make a Cajon. Can't afford to upset her though as she feeds me at least 2 days a week :)

Looks like my hours on ebay were not entirely mis-spent. Just picked these up from about 20 miles away.

The sole of the Ulmer is stained with something

I see a future filled with lots of cleaning and sharpening....

Says the Ulmer sole is made from Goat's wood (what the heck is Goat's wood?) so I presume the staining is milk

Good price (as in enviously good price). Was that a purchaser must collect deal? They always go for a very low price.

John

No, the original ad was for £3.80 postage but I asked if he would do collection as I was bidding on a few of his items (didn't win any of the others) and he changed this one.

From www.handplane.com

While one can only speculate on just what "Goat's Wood" might actually be, it should be noted that the modern-day Ulmia plane now has a body made from red beech and a sole from either white beech, hornbeam or lignum vitae.

So none the wiser there. I was thinking perhaps it is wood that has been specially compressed by having goats repeatedly butt it?

post-15398-0-10050300-1403647780_thumb.j

Gordon the goat is carefully selecting his next victim.

If the staining is from a goat then I hope it is milk.... :o

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well I've got all the irons out and yes, lots of rust. Haven't started on them yet as I now have a few more to get ready for some 'sorting'.

post-15398-0-31349300-1406242451_thumb.j

This one was 99p+£4.89 p+p. It does have some woodworm damage but there is no sign of anything recent. Once I get the irons out it'll get at least 2 coats of Triple Wood Protector.

post-15398-0-99569100-1406242471_thumb.j

These were £3 with me collecting them from 20 miles away (any excuse for a nice day out - ). again some very light woodworm but it has already been treated. The metal plane is a Stanley No78 with light surface rust but no pitting.

All in all, I'm a happy teddy bear :)

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting these renovated and useable. At present I have two 'useable planes. A Stanley 78 and a No4 that is a mixture of a Stanley and a Hilka. Neither are set up right but I'm getting better slowly.

Terry, if you keep an eye on Gumtree within say a 10 mile radius of your postcode for 'tools' in any category there will probably be a few come up. Some are going to be very expensive but the majority will be 'cheap as chips'.

• Like 1