Saying goodbye to my shop...

Eric.

Went west for the first time in my adult life this month. If all your AC does is keep the humidity down it will still pay huge dividends with regard to comfort level. I am now envious of those western wworkers with regard to humidity and yet I am surrounded by trees. Rough trade off.

In my basement apartment, we ran the ac and i put my hydrometer in there to see the humidity levels, and they stayed at about 70 if i remember. We cant run the dehumidifier and ac at the same time because we will pop a breaker. I did not have the same luck as you.

I slapped the AC in the window this morning and it's been running for a couple hours.  I haven't taken the time to seal up the area around the unit yet so it's pretty leaky still at the window.  It's not that hot out today...kind of cloudy and about 82*...but super muggy.  The AC has sucked all the humidity out of the shop and I'd guess it's about 74-75 DRY degrees in here...and really cool when I'm in the path of the fan.  Quite comfortable.  The test will be on a 100* day.  I think after I finish insulating and seal up all the leaks we're gonna be in business.  I'm super happy to have my shop back.  I don't care what the electric bills are.  It's worth it.  Just hope this thing is a tough machine because I'm gonna run it hard when I run it.

Kiki +1.....Shop Zombies DENIED! You have proven yourself a wise grasshopper.

...for the summer (gotcha) :D .....unless I buy an AC unit.  Not that I'm getting much shop time these days anyway, being swamped with work and all the rest.  But I can't stand being out there for more than five minutes and we're just at the very beginning of the three miserable months I wish didn't even exist.  I mean why can't we just have like six Octobers in a row instead of the yearly hell on earth?  And any of you freaks who say you love this steamy nightmare, just keep your mouths shut about it cuz I'm not in the mood, m'kay?  Thanks.  I digress...

Quick AZ search came up with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/SPT-12000-Window-Conditioner-WA-1211S/dp/B004K43I2Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403721565&sr=8-3&keywords=air+conditioner+window

My shop is about 3,800 cubic feet...that's 18' wide x 24' long x 9' ceiling.

Any opinions on if this thing will cool me down or a better unit or any other advice...would love to hear it.  I'm 3/5 insulated and intend to finish that right soon...when time allows.

I feel your pain, Kiki. I say goodbye to my shop every Winter when the wife's(not mine!) tropical plants have to come in. Two rubber plants, a Schefflera, some unknown plant named God-knows-what in a 30-gal pot that takes up the whole corner from floor to ceiling and sheds leaves worse than a cat sheds hair plus a bunch of small potted plants. Impossible to do anything between early November and late March, hard to even walk through the shop.

At least an A/C window unit will solve your problem, I need to enclose the deck to solve mine.

Hope it works out for you!

Best,

Bill

I'm sitting in here now and things are pretty good.  It definitely doesn't stay cool...the AC keeps running or it starts warming up almost immediately.  But it's doing the trick for now and once I insulate and seal everything up I think it'll be about twice as effective.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.  It's so choice.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So Kiki,

You hate summers? Well, I hated winters.

I had the misfortune of being born in Ohio, and it took until I was 25 years old before I realized that I was born in the wrong place. So I moved to FL, where we spent the next 40 years.

Then I realized I hated humidity. Don't mind when you are younger, but later on it really began to suck. Now moved to NM. And as the fairy tale said, now "Everything is just right." 15-20% humidity year round, and a mild climate year round. For those days when it is a bit warm or a bit cool, just flip the switch and everything is just right again. Swamp coolers are super cheap to run, and very little heat or cool is needed when you insulate the crap out of your shop building…

So, all you gotta do is get old, retire, and everything will be just right…   No problem!

post-14694-0-51524100-1407073671_thumb.j

Tom,

Its funny....every area has it uniqueness and good and bad.  Here on the SC coast we have heat and humidity but good fishing and good breezes.  I do like your 15-20% humidity though.  I'm 55 and like the sweltering less and less.  BUT...our friend who lived in NM, talked about the "migration of the tarantulas".  She said sometimes she would come out of the house and the entire yard was black and moving. :blink: They won't hurt you but you may hurt yourself! Have you seen anything like this?