Underground Shop?

tim0625

In another thread, we were kicking around shop AC systems as we usually do this time of year.  What about an underground shop?  Of course, Coastal SC probably isn't the place as it is called "The Low Country" but what about in the mid-west where it's drier or if you have property that backs up to a mountain?  What about digging into the mountain to make a shop?  Steady temps, low humidity, free land (I guess you could do this?), no basement stairs to navigate.... What say Ye??

If the landscape and climate work in your favor, underground, or partial underground, could be excellent. I think having all or part of the roof exposed would be beneficial for skylights....

I live about 2 miles from one of the largest mound-builder complexes in North America. The museum / admin building for the park is above ground level, but banked with earth to resemble one of the Native American mounds. Makes for an awsome community tornado shelter, and their heating / cooling costs are just about non-existant.

I got an email a few years ago about a marijuana growing operation where the people had a house that was built basically against a mountain. They had tunneled into the mountain and opened it up into large rooms. they had a florescent lighting system and automatic watering of the pot plants growing in hundreds of 5 gallon buckets.  I was thinking, heck, I'd like to buy that house NOW THAT IT WILL BE SOLD AT A GOVERNMENT AUCTION.....and put my shop in there.