Banjo Mute

As an Argentinean hillbilly ... I LOVE LOOOOOOVE Bluegrass. This started when I saw the movie O Brother where art though? , then I started listening at a newer version of jamb bands like The String Cheese Incident, Punch Brothers, Railroad Earth, etc. and I fell in love with the whole movement.

Originally I am a huge jazz fan, jazz like Miles Davis, not the easy listening style, then of course Tango.

Bluegrass allows for huge musical inspiration and I named it the "jazz of country music". I love it so much that my second dog is called Banjo. First dog is Gaucho ...

Keeping America the melting pot ... Gaucho and Banjo.

Just a short rant.

Ah ... I  own a Collins A style mandolin and I never play it ... one of these days I will get back into guitar and mando.

Adios

One of the reasons I believe my wife is the best woman ever is that she was able to sit three feet from me while I practiced banjo (repetitively, with a dvd).

Incidentally, saw a guy playing a "banjitar" with a "mute" (a piece of black foam tucked under the strings next to the bridge). Sounded great.

I have the utmost respect for bluegrass musicians, as they have to work very hard to develop their skill. But I can't listen for more than 5 minutes at a time.

So, if you at all like the sound of any of the typical instruments, but can't stand bluegrass because of the intense pace and less-than-pleasant vocals, you should check out Appalachian Picking Society. All instrumental, and most of it is slower and focuses more on artistry instead of absurd chops. Actually has a lot of star players, but was initially released completely anonymously (i had the physical cd, and not a credit given in the whole booklet, and specifically mentioned they wanted to be anonymous; don't know what changed).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/appalachian-picking-society/id253127169

• Like 1

So, if you at all like the sound of any of the typical instruments, but can't stand bluegrass because of the intense pace and less-than-pleasant vocals, you should check out Appalachian Picking Society. All instrumental, and most of it is slower and focuses more on artistry instead of absurd chops. Actually has a lot of star players, but was initially released completely anonymously (i had the physical cd, and not a credit given in the whole booklet, and specifically mentioned they wanted to be anonymous; don't know what changed).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/appalachian-picking-society/id253127169

Unfortunately, it isn't the quite impressive pace of the music, or even the extreme 'twang' of the vocals ( I am a native Tennesseean, after all ).

Due to partial hearing loss, I am overly sensitive to sounds in the upper mid-range tones. Banjos tend to fall in this range. Many voices, especially female voices, swing into this range as well. Grates on my ears like fingernails on a chalkboard. Handheld power tools are in the same category, so I wear earmuffs a lot. I hate it, because banjo pickers are some of the most skilled instrumentalists I have ever seen. Used to love me some Roy Clark on the old HeeHaw show. Stuff with trumpets drives me nuts, too.

My favorite musician now is Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits fame. Awsome guitarist, songwriter and producer, wide range of styles, and a low, slightly gruff voice that is much more soothing to my ears.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it isn't the quite impressive pace of the music, or even the extreme 'twang' of the vocals ( I am a native Tennesseean, after all ).

Due to partial hearing loss, I am overly sensitive to sounds in the upper mid-range tones. Banjos tend to fall in this range. Many voices, especially female voices, swing into this range as well. Grates on my ears like fingernails on a chalkboard. Handheld power tools are in the same category, so I wear earmuffs a lot. I hate it, because banjo pickers are some of the most skilled instrumentalists I have ever seen. Used to love me some Roy Clark on the old HeeHaw show. Stuff with trumpets drives me nuts, too.

My favorite musician now is Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits fame. Awsome guitarist, songwriter and producer, wide range of styles, and a low, slightly gruff voice that is much more soothing to my ears.

Ooooohhhhh.

Well then. Looks like you could use one of those mutes.

Due to partial hearing loss, I am overly sensitive to sounds in the upper mid-range tones. 

Man that sucks.

You might want to check out Morphine (the band, not the pain killer).  One of the weirdest bands on my playlist.  Drum kit, bass and baritone saxes, two string slide electric bass guitar, and baritone singer.  The highest notes they produce are the snare and the cymbals in the drum kit, and an occasional overtone.  Might not be your thing.  Reminds me a little of The Doors.  

There are times when I feel like I'll scream if I hear another soprano, and Morphine provides a nice refuge.

• Like 1

I've got to be in the mood for banjo music.  Sometimes, it will start with a YouTube search for "dueling banjoes," sometimes a search for Steve Martin, sometimes a cross-over from songs like "I will wait" from Mumford and Sons.  

But the good news for pickers is that folk music, and banjo music in general, is increasing in popularity.  The good news for the rest of us is that we can still change the station if we don't like what it's playing.  (Since I go through phases, I've only got three or so stations in presets on the radio... the rest are in my memory.)  the only two things I swerve from and immediately change are rap and the telemundo radio musica novellas that are growing in my neck of the woods.)

This is what I like so much about bluegrass. This style has a huge range and it takes a lot of digging to realize it. Since is not mainstream is not easy to do but there are couple of podcasts ... Mountain Stage is one and the other .... forgot.

I have a few playlists in my grooveshark page ... check out Gauchobanjo and listen to different bands. I just play these in the background.

I listen to bluegrass when the shop is busy and noisy. If I have quite time of course ... WTO all the way.

Can't keep my feet still when bluegrass pops up!

It is my custom to listen to folk and bluegrass while staining or varnishing. Nice quiet shop. Makes me feel extra craftsmany.

I think I'll give it a go as I normally listen to jazz when sanding, rock or blues music when machining and classical when finishing.

With the TuneIn Radio app on the iPad you can listen to just about any genre on the planet. I'm off to the shop to listen to some Bluegrass :)

• Like 1

There is a genre called "americana" that is sort of a mix of folk, bluegrass & Blues. Check out bands like The String Cheese Incident, Railroad Head, Punch Brothers, Greensky Bluegrass, The Motet, The Wood Brothers, Asleep at the Wheel, Great American Taxi, The Greencards, The Flatlanders. There are so many more ... these are all new guys.

I think I'll give it a go as I normally listen to jazz when sanding, rock or blues music when machining and classical when finishing.

With the TuneIn Radio app on the iPad you can listen to just about any genre on the planet. I'm off to the shop to listen to some Bluegrass :)

• Like 1