Uses for cedar?

baok

I removed some faux beams from my living room ceiling on Saturday. They were painted a dark chocolate brown. Before taking them to the dump I thought I'd run one through the planer to see what it was. This is what came out: straight grained cedar. Pretty soft stuff but I have a lot of it.

I think I'll keep it. :) Not sure what I can make from such soft stuff but perhaps someone here has some ideas.

u2ezynuh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Cedar is also good for instruments where there won't be a lot stress on it.  It works well for flutes, recorders, etc.  It's not hard enough for guitar necks or anything like that, but for wind instruments it produces a low vibration that is not the loudest sound you can get, but it's very full and deep.

+1 on using cedar scraps to cook salmon on the grill (cedar plank salmon).  Used some of my WRC non-treated non-stained fence board scraps and it turned out great... I don't know if I would use your left overs though considering its been painted/stained... but perhaps i am just overly cautious.  

+1 on using cedar scraps to cook salmon on the grill (cedar plank salmon).  Used some of my WRC non-treated non-stained fence board scraps and it turned out great... I don't know if I would use your left overs though considering its been painted/stained... but perhaps i am just overly cautious.  

the local grocery store had two grilling planks for sale across from the fish... and all I could see was a drawer.  for $5, I think it's a little expensive (for a drawer), but if you can get the planks at a lower cost (and lower interest rate), I'd love to find stuff to grill and bring over.

• 4 weeks later...