Splinters ?

wdwerker

Ok so this topic is an occupational hazard. I noticed yet another splinter tonight at a neighbors home. She is a veterinarian and close friend for over 20 years. She took the sharp tip of a hypodermic needle and picked out the splinter without causing even a minor flinch !

I assisted by lighting the finger with my super bright LED flashlight. There is a sense of awe watching someone do something you have painfully done repeatedly without even once causing the slightest bit of pain. It is nice to witness such skill in action.

I've dug out plenty between work and the shop with box cutters, exacto knives etc.

When I have the patience, the best way is to put a dab of Vaseline on it and cover with a bandaid. Works itself right out.

Especially good on the one's that break off under the skin. Best time to do it (if I can wait) is when you go to bed. Wake up, and the splinter is on th bandaid. Like magic.

• Like 1

I have used triple anti-biotic like you describe using Vaseline. I saw a meme the other day that suggested a baking soda paste in the same manner. Not sure any of this is one hundred percent effective but are just things to try with what might be on hand.

I once had a job on the docks.  I was showing the security guard (on a holiday night, so it was busy) how to tie off a boat, and got a splinter under my fingernail.  Approximately 1/8" wide, and slightly over 1/2" in length, it was right between the fingernail and the skin.  Didn't bleed, but I did finish tying off the boat before sitting down at a nearby bench and trying to pry it out myself with my pocket knife.

I could only get half, so I got a workman's comp claim to get a ride to the hospital and have them pull the rest of it out.  Four injections, two forceps, and I could still feel it.  (Still never bled.)  They let me go from the hospital, and said I could go anywhere.  So I went back to work.  (turned out to be the best thing I could have done; whatever could have gone wrong did that night.  They needed an extra hand, what with the accident, the drunk who decided to swim across the river -federal waterway, federal offense - and the two mechanical failures.)

But I'm going to have to keep that syringe idea in mind...  Now that snake-bite kits are no longer in favor/legal, I might try to use one as a splinter extractor.

For those splinters that are neither 'huge' (that resemble nothing so much as the horizontals of a split-rail fence) nor 'tiny' (you can't see, but know they're there) --- there's a excellent purpose-made product: http://www.medipoint.com/html/splinter_out.html. It's good for about 80% of the typical woodworking splinters, it's inexpensive, it works and it's sterile...

For the small tough ones that are hard to see, but you know where they are, I pull a 29g x 1/2" 1cc BD syringe and have at it: http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=7572. Sterile, single use, toss.

When the going get's rough, I go with a #11: http://www.swann-morton.com/product/65.php, but that's like once a year... Again, sterile, single use, toss...

One thing... When I'm pulling stock from the woodpile or setting-up for a full afternoon of milling rough stock, I wear thin upland shooting gloves: http://www.thegunglove.com/product.htm. The summer weight are excellent - protection without giving-up feel.... Once I started doing this, the number of splinters dropped dramatically.

• Like 1

I've dug out plenty between work and the shop with box cutters, exacto knives etc.

When I have the patience, the best way is to put a dab of Vaseline on it and cover with a bandaid. Works itself right out.

Especially good on the one's that break off under the skin. Best time to do it (if I can wait) is when you go to bed. Wake up, and the splinter is on th bandaid. Like magic.

This definitely works. I remember my grandmother would put some kind of crap on mine and she called it draw salve. Also, if your wife and office can put up with it, put on a band aid right before a shower and leave in on and wet for a week or so :wacko:  The splinter will work it's way out