Porter-Cable routers recall notice

BuilderBill

Just got an email from Amazon warning me of a "potential safety issue regarding certain product(s) that our records indicate you purchased through the Amazon.com website:

PORTER-CABLE 7518 Speedmatic 15 Amp 3-1/4 HP Fixed Base 5-Speed Router"

So I click on the link to the CPSC notice to find the recall is because "The router base handles are not insulated, posing an electric shock hazard." Gee, I thought that was what the ground wire in the power cord was for, to keep me from getting fried.

Scrolling down the page I find this:

"Incidents/Injuries

None reported"

So I trip on over to the P-C website, look up the 7518 and sure enough, it looks like it's been prettied up a little:

post-1150-0-74056400-1404471949_thumb.jp

So if your 7518 base is showing its' age you might want to get a freebie replacement courtesy of  B&D and the CPSC. Doesn't matter how old, the recall lists all models manufactured between 1990 and 2014.

Sheesh!

Tell me please how insulating handles is more than a cheap band-aid? What does the base contact that you cannot while manipulating the power switch? I do not have this router and maybe should just shut up, but I see that shiny aluminum above the base in the photo.

I smell lawyers trying to stir something up !

That's the same smell I've smelled before with motorcycle helmets, seat belts, air polution, water polution, food ingreidents,  Good grief, I could go on for hours about the "Lawyer Odor".   Lawyers should be castrated! from the neck up!

I just find it amusing/ironic/idiotic that regardless of the fact the CPSC has no reported injuries or incidents and the tool has a 3-wire grounded power cord and  the grounded parts of the motor are in constant contact with the base and the tool is UL tested and listed, they decided to issue a recall that will cost B&D a fairly large chunk of change. And do you think B&D will take a hit on their profits? No, they'll just add it to overhead and the prices you, I and everyone else pay for their products will go up slightly.

Come to think of it, my table saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw, grinder, just about every freaking tool in my shop except the portables have 3-wire grounded cords and no insulated handles. What's next????

So I'm gonna abstain, keep my old base, take my chances and save B&D a few $. Not because I particularly like B&D, just because this ain't right and I'm not gonna be a part of it.

Steve, I think you're right, there's a shyster in the henhouse on this one. Or some underworked "public servant" looking to justify his job...

Richard, all the things you mentioned just reinforce my opinion that lawyers have their uses. But I'd still campaign for any law that prohibits them within a 100-mile radius of Washington, DC. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah but if you want to buy just the motor part without the base it costs about the same.  In some cases it actually costs more to buy the motor than to buy the whole thing and throw out the base.  So since it costs less with the base it must cost them negative dollars to make the base.  So really they are making a huge profit having to replace all the bases ;)

• Like 2