Cornhole Set

bikefoolery

Finished our family heirloom cornhole set.  Plywood on a redwood frame, plugs are green poplar stained dark.  I have a much deeper respect for talent and skill required to make G&G inspired style furniture now.

14388808330_caedfa4680.jpg

4th of July in the park.

14388854338_cc64c77b5c.jpg

Side profile.

14595592743_cd78d3a6f3.jpg

Happy birthday USA.

-josh

PS, I laugh and giggle whenever we get it out to play.  It's kinda silly to G&G a bean bag toss game, but a ton of fun to play, and visually appealing.  I smile every time I see it.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of this until this year, but I understand it's really popular. At the end of last year, my summer helper wanted to build a set and took-over the shop for an afternoon (along with a sheet of BB and some Maple)... First set I'd ever seen... As typical, he left it for the last minute, so we compromised rather badly on the finish... When dealing with summer help, some things never change...

Around here, we had a bean-bag-toss game that was similar, but there were more holes of different sizes (think it was nine or maybe twelve)... The smaller the hole, the more the points...

==>It's kinda silly to G&G a bean bag toss game

It's kind of hard to see from the photos, but those are either stink-bugs, really large blue-bottle flies or Ebony plugs... If they're Ebony plugs, then you've got too much free time on your hands :)

then you've got too much free time on your hands :)

I always thought that was a definition of any hobby.  ;)

As for the game, it gives you something to do while chatting about life and kids with friends.  Or find out your spouse is super competitive and you'll be sleeping on the couch for winning.

-josh

Round here we play "washers". And by "we" I mean not me. We tried making a selling some sets. Unsuccessful is an understatement.

As to your project, I appreciate the absurdity. Having fun with the craft (from design to utilization) is wonderful.

==>You guys have never heard of corn hole???

Well, I've heard the reference.... But let's just say it didn't have a lot in common with tossing bean bags... :)

I'm pretty familiar with that meaning also. Or the classic I AM CORNHOLLIO!!!

==>Or the classic I AM CORNHOLLIO!!!

Haven't watched those two in years... Still on the air?

i don't think so, they would probably be to tame for today's tv! How many times have I told you boys to stop ma********** in my shed?!?! Still cracks me up!

You guys have never heard of corn hole??? Y'all need to take a step out of the workshop:) nice set, for the price of cheap pine ones you could sell those bad boys for a mint!

This past weekend, my daughter-in-law asked me to make her a set. I told her I had never heard of it and that I would look into it. This morning an employee returned from a family reunion in Middlebury IN and told me about playing the game there. Twice in one week, but never in the previous 65 years.

This past weekend, my daughter-in-law asked me to make her a set. I told her I had never heard of it and that I would look into it. This morning an employee returned from a family reunion in Middlebury IN and told me about playing the game there. Twice in one week, but never in the previous 65 years.

it seems like it started out as a family reunion in the country kinda thing. It always reminded me of horseshoes, but I think that game's time has passed.

it seems like it started out as a family reunion in the country kinda thing. It always reminded me of horseshoes, but I think that game's time has passed.

it's been played in college while drinking for several decades that I'm aware of.

it's been played in college while drinking for several decades that I'm aware of.

see, there's my problem, I didn't go to college, so we just did our drinking while doing stupid things that I'm sure were really funny... If I could remember any of them?

see, there's my problem, I didn't go to college, so we just did our drinking while doing stupid things that I'm sure were really funny... If I could remember any of them?

when I was in college over a decade ago, it was beer pong when it was cold outside, and cornhole when it was warm.

when I was in college over a decade ago, it was beer pong when it was cold outside, and cornhole when it was warm.

we liked to drink vodka and hot glue the shop cats food to the table... That was a riot! He wouldn't be hungry but if you took a piece of his food and put it on the workbench he would run over and eat it, so out came the hot glue gun and the liquor! It was good year round entertainment, but this is the education you get growing up on a farm.
  • Like 1

we liked to drink vodka and hot glue the shop cats food to the table... That was a riot! He wouldn't be hungry but if you took a piece of his food and put it on the workbench he would run over and eat it, so out came the hot glue gun and the liquor! It was good year round entertainment, but this is the education you get growing up on a farm.

So that's where the expression " You're the cats meow" came from :D